Several followers on my Twitter and fans on my Facebook page submitted some questions about the 49ers and I’ll post my responses right here.
With the Niners looking at running backs this week and the performance of Hunter, do you think Dixon’s days are numbered? (from Bruce on Twitter)
– It is very possible. Dixon’s role has been very minimal so far with the team. He is last on the depth chart and has only one carry this season. He has been used on special teams only and just by the looks of that, he doesn’t have much value at the moment. Harbaugh said that the team wanted to be ready just in case a back gets hurt. I would think that the team is just exploring its options. And even if Dixon does miss time with an injury, I would think Ian Johnson would be the likely option to get that open roster spot. Right now, Dixon hasn’t done much to make him stand out.
When will Braylon Edwards be ready? Who got the game ball afte the Eagles game? (from Faustino on Facebook)
– Edwards expects to be back possibly after the bye week. What makes it tough is that Edwards has not been at practices, so we don’t know how far he is along with his recovery. I do believe that once Edwards does make an appearance on the field, he could be a week away from making his return. Of course, it also depends on how well his knee holds up during practices.
As for the game ball, that I don’t know. I would assume that it would go to Justin Smith for his hustle play. I do know that Carlos Rogers did keep the ball he got from his interception.
what happened at end of 1st half? Why call time out with a second left? Why look so disorganized? (from Susheel on Twitter)
– My best guess is that they wanted to just see waht kind of defense the Eagles would put out there. It may have been a move where the 49ers offense comes out and if the defense is favorable, they’d throw. But if not, just run it out. Why call a timeout? That I’m not even sure.
What’s the deal with Talib’s knee? Is there a good chance that he won’t play? (from Alex on Twitter)
– No idea, but Talib was a full go at practice and he will suit up on Sunday.
when will Alex Boone take over at right tackle ? Also would the #49ers move @AnthonyDavis76 to right guard ? (from Tom on Twitter)
– Nothing at practice indicates any of those moves. Boone is still working with the second team and I don’t think the 49ers would be willing to put him in the starting role just yet. And moving Davis to right guard would not be the best option right now. Davis has not had any practice at that position and forcing a shuffle to a line like that would not benefit the team.
what are chances 49ers give a smith a contract extension if he continues to play well? (from David on Twitter)
– They’ll look into that at the end of the year. The team will have to see how he does for all 16 games and then they will evaluate. There is no chance of any talks during the season. But if Smith plays well and leads the team to the playoffs, the team will for sure consider.