After hearing so much about Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed’s wedding, we finally saw it for ourselves. On the last few episodes of “Gene Simmons Family Jewels,” we’ve seen everything from Gene and Shannon cry during their marriage boot camp to going into business together, and it all culminated with the rocker and the Playboy playmate meeting at the altar on their wedding day.
Story: Quotes and pictures from the ‘Gene Simmons Family Jewels’ wedding episode
Story: Quotes, pictures from the post-wedding special interview
This may be a reality show, but here are five things Gene and Shannon have taught us about love and marriage:
1) Pay for a really good psychologist: It helps to get pre-marriage counseling no matter how good your relationship is. But when you already have on-going problems and rotting skeletons in your closet, it’s really good if you can dial up someone like Dr. Ann Wexler.
2) Forgive and forget (or at least try): Shannon Tweed was able to move past Gene’s infidelity issues. Gene was able to forgive his father for what he did to his mother. They both healed and were all the better for it.
3) Give each other space: When Gene and Shannon had their issues, Shannon moved out and even had an extended stay in Canada with her family. Sometimes you need to get away from the one you love before you can get even closer.
4) Don’t go into business together: No matter if you’re married or unmarried, going into business with the one you love is always a tricky proposition. It can certainly work out, but if you’re like Gene and need to fire your wife-to-be, it can get more than a little awkward. It can also lead to hurt feelings and bad blood.
5) Birth and raise some wise children: I still maintain that Nick and Sophie Simmons are some of the most mature kids I’ve ever seen on a reality show. For being so young, they are wise beyond their years. And in some small way, they helped their father see the forest through the trees.
What did you learn from the “Gene Simmons Family Jewels” wedding episodes? Voice your thoughts below.
In Boston, “Gene Simmons Family Jewels” aired from 9-12 on A&E.
Be sure to follow me on Twitter and Facebook!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed wed, but will Gene still cheat?
‘The Big C’: Killing Paul is a mistake
‘Pan Am’ premiere: Retro shows reek of sexism and racism
Wherever you live in Boston or Beijing…
Follow the TV Examiner on:
- FACEBOOK FAN PAGE
- THE SCREEN FIEND
Hit the “Subscribe” link at the top of this column to get instant email updates from the TV Examiner, as well!