Beatles and music events on Oct. 28:
- Oct. 28, 1961: Raymond Jones goes to NEMS record store in Liverpool to try and buy Beatles records. The store doesn’t have any, but his request spurs an interest to store manager Brian Epstein in finding out more about them.
- Oct. 28, 1940: Wayne Fontana of the Mindbenders born.
- Oct. 28, 1941: Curtis Lee (“Pretty Little Angel Eyes”) born.
- Oct. 28, 1943: Randy Newman born.
- Oct. 28, 1956: Elvis Presley makes his second appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show.” Sullivan gives him a gold record for “Love Me Tender.”
- Oct. 28, 1958: On what turns out to be his last TV appearance, Buddy Holly appears on “American Bandstand,” singing “It’s So Easy” and “Heartbeat.”
- Oct. 28, 1961: The Beatles, Aintree Institute, Liverpool.
- Oct. 28, 1962: The Beatles, Empire Theatre, Liverpool. Also on the bill: Little Richard.
- Oct. 28, 1963: The Beatles, Borashallen, Boras, Sweden.
- Oct. 28, 1964: The Beatles, ABC Cinema, Exeter.
- Oct. 28, 1964: Two nights of concerts at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium that later become known as “The TAMI Show,” begin. The bill includes the Rolling Stones, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, the Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye and the Supremes.
- Oct. 28, 1965: A rough mono mix of “We Can Work It Out” is made for the TV show “The Music of Lennon and McCartney.”
“Some Days in the Beatles lives” is a regular feature of Beatles Examiner. Let us know what you like or don’t about it.
Stan is the author of the Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, Vintage Rock ‘n’ Roll Examiner and TV on DVD Examiner columns on knotmove.com.
- Be sure to subscribe to this column by clicking the button at the top of the page.
- Your feedback and ideas are always welcome. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the Beatles Examiner columns: http://knotmove.com/beatles-in-national/steve-marinucci
- Please join us on Twitter: @stevemarinucci and @beatlesexaminer (RT’s are much appreciated!)
- We’re also on Google+
- Search for us on Bing: http://tinyurl.com/3pukbd5 or Google: http://tinyurl.com/3m4k998
- Add us as a friend on our Beatles Examiner page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beatles-Examiner/372042379525
- And if you like this article, please share this article on StumbleUpon, Digg, Twitter, or Facebook!