Yesterday I received an advanced copy of The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams.
Here are some observations …
The album clocks in at 36:57:
1. You’ve Been Lonesome, Too – Alan Jackson (3:24)
2. The Love That Faded – Bob Dylan (2:33)
3. How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart? – Norah Jones (3:33)
4. You Know That I Know – Jack White (3:55)
5. I’m So Happy I Found You – Lucinda Williams (3:15)
6. I Hope You Shed a Million Tears – Vince Gill and Rodney Crowell (4:01)
7. You’re Through Fooling Me – Patty Loveless (2:07)
8. You’ll Never Again Be Mine – Levon Helm (3:11)
9. Blue Is My Heart – Holly Williams (2:45)
10. Oh, Mama, Come Home – Jakob Dylan (2:28)
11. Angel Mine – Sheryl Crow (3:38)
12. The Sermon on the Mount – Merle Haggard (2:08)
All songwriting credits listed as Hank Williams, Sr., followed by the name of the artist performing the composition, with the following exceptions: “You’re Through Fooling Me” (Hank Williams, Sr., Patty Loveless, Emory Gordy, Jr.) and “You’ll Never Again Be Mine” (Hank Williams, Sr., Levon Helm, Larry Campbell).
The original handwritten lyric sheet for “The Love That Faded” is replicated in the booklet, dated May 2, 1947. Other examples are also included, such as “Angel Mine,” but are difficult to read.
The booklet features track information, liner notes by Michael McCall from the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, and a short bio of each “co-writer,” along with a photograph. Jack White’s picture appears to be backwards (or he’s playing a guitar left-handed.) Pam Springsteen, Bruce’s sister, photographed Merle Haggard.
Executive producer: Jeff Rosen; producer: Mary Martin (for the album, not individual tracks); production coordinator: Debbie Sweeney.
Norah Jones is accompanied by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings.
Vince Gill plays acoustic guitar on the Holly Williams track.
Levon Helm is backed by his daughter Amy Helm, Larry Campbell and his wife Teresa Williams, and bassist Mike Merritt.
Bob Dylan credits: Produced by Jack Frost, engineered by Chris Shaw, mastered by Greg Calbi. Musicians: Bob Dylan (vocals, guitar), Tony Garnier (bass), George G. Recile (drums), Stu Kimball (guitar), Donny Freeman (guitar), and Donnie Herron (steel guitar, violin). Herron also plays steel guitar on the Jack White track.
“The Love That Faded”: (c) 2011 Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC. All rights on behalf of Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC administrated by Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, 8 Music Square West West, Nashville, TN 37203. (Note there is no credit for Special Rider Music.)
View the slide show for examples of the packaging.
I hope to write a review within the next few days.
Keep up with Bob Dylan Examiner news. Just click on Subscribe above, or follow @DylanExaminer on Twitter. Thanks for your support. …