While we sang the praises of nerd dating in a recent article, we also acknowledge that dating a nerd has its pitfalls. Many nerds are inexperienced with women and socially inept at best. Big Bang Theory’s Sheldon is closer to reality than many of us nerds would care to admit. To help our fellow nerd brethren, we have asked Middle Tennessee’s nerd loving ladies to tell us their stories of good and bad dates with their nerds for this ongoing series.
For our first edition, we’re going to look at gifts. This is an area full of peril for your average nerd. Our favorite shopping destinations, Amazon, Gamestop, and Newegg are not exactly repositories of romantic gifts and many of us become lost in a mall jewelry store.
Fortunately, fate is on our side. Girls who date nerds tend to have a high, if not limitless, tolerance for hilariously inappropriate and nerdy gifts. Many we spoke to report receiving everything from action figures to toy cars to random computer parts as “date gifts” from their nerdy boyfriends. Most laugh it off and chalk it off to a good story. But if you really want to impress your nerd loving lady, you need to understand how to turn those nerdy gifts into romantic ones with just a few simple tips. Try these tips the next time you’re buying your lady a gift and watch her eyes light up with surprise and joy.
Connect your gift to a memory
While most ladies are not going to consider action figures romantic gifts, it’s all in the presentation. Reader Valerie from Madison, Tn. relates this story of a nerdy but romantic gift. “One of my previous BFs took me to see a Star Wars movie. I made the comment that Ewoks were just too cute. They were better than teddy bears at saying I love you. The next time I was sick, he sent me flowers and had put an ewok miniture in with the card. It was how he said “I love you” for the first time, and it was very original!.”
If you can make those connections to a romantic memory, even the most nerdy of gifts will knock her off her feet. It shows her you care enough to listen and remember when she says things.
Hand made wins the day
Reader Rebecca from Columbia, Tn. shares this handy, and inexpensive, gift giving tip. “Hand write her a letter/note and tell her something wonderful. There’s something about hand written stuff that makes it ten times better. Trust me…”
We’ll cover poetry writing in a future column but for now, go with a simple letter. Talk about a cherished memory, tell her a secret, or just write I Love You. If you draw, make her a one of a kind picture connected to a conversation you had on your last date. The gift will cost you next to nothing, but will get you more sex than anything you could buy from a mall jewelry store.
Give traditional gifts a creative twist
Most nerds are loathe to do something as boring and conventional as flowers. But it’s an almost universal truth that girls are gaga over the things, even nerdy ones. So it behooves you to make them work for you. The key is to do something creative with your bouquet of flowers. Here are some creative ideas:
- Plan a date somewhere that wild flowers are growing and pick her a bunch yourself.
- Place ties with numbers on each flower and send along a note to tell her each one represents something you love about her. Send her a text every day for the next twelve telling her one more thing. The anticipation will drive her nuts and you’ll definitely reap the benefits.
- Buy her a dozen roses in a nice vase. Go to a good hobby store and locate the most realistic fake rose you can to place in the vase with the real ones. Send along a note that says “My love will last until the last rose fades”. If you’re lucky she won’t notice the fake one immediately and will chalk the odd note up to nerdy awkwardness. Once she discovers that one rose isn’t fading and won’t, you’ll be in the romantic catbird seat.
Gifts to Avoid
While the above are great romantic gifts to consider, we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention common nerdy gifts that will NOT get you any romantic points at all. These are ok to give, but not as dating gifts.
- World of Warcraft game time cards- I don’t care if she’s the world’s biggest WoW nerd. This just won’t work. Taurens are not sexy. Not even the “Internet is for Porn” one. Especially the “Internet is for Porn” one…
- Anything with the word “Madden” in the title. Been there, done that, trust us.
- A Princess Leia metal bikini. Save that one for the honeymoon.
Nerd loving ladies, we want your favorite gift stories, good and bad. Share them with us in the comments section. Nerdy guys, help a fellow nerd out and let us know what has worked, or not worked, for you in the past.
If you’d like to receive the other parts of the Nerds Guide to Dating delivered right to your inbox as they come out, click Subscribe at the top of the page.