From September to October each year, trees across many areas of the U.S. and Canada put on a brilliant show of color, from dazzling reds to brilliant oranges and vibrant yellows. In Huntsville, we get those glimpses along higher elevations, such as Monte Sano and Green Mountain.
While those are gorgeous areas, they did not make AAA’s top 10 list of splendid fall sights that stretch from coast to coast. Here are top picks of where to go and where to stay to soak in the brilliance.
- Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Ore., AAA Four Diamond Resort Hotel Early October is an excellent time to visit as the nights are cold and crisp but you awake most mornings to brilliant sunshine and days that can still get into the ’70s.
- Penticton Lakeside Resort, Convention Centre & Casino, Penticton, British Columbia, AAA/CAA Three Diamond Casino Hotel The highlight of the rooms are their spacious balconies, each with comfortable chairs and a small table, made for stepping outside to enjoy the view. The property is located on the shoreline of huge Okanagan Lake.
- Gunflint Lodge, Grand Marais, Minn., AAA Three Diamond Vacation Rental HouseFall in the North Woods provides a full palate of foliage colors from a blend of maple, birch, aspen and evergreen trees, among others. Immerse yourself in the colors by hiking on one of the numerous trails at the lodge or nearby. The property’s fall color tour package includes naturalist escorted hikes.
- The Leavenworth Inn, Leavenworth, Ind., AAA Three Diamond Historic Bed & Breakfast This charming converted 1890s farmhouse offers views of the Ohio River and rolling river valley. Take in the picture-perfect view of fall foliage while rocking away your cares on the front porch.
- Hotel Quintessence, Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, AAA/CAA Four Diamond Boutique Hotel The entire ski area offers stunning scenery during the peak fall foliage weeks (usually from mid- to late-September through the first week in October, depending on the temperature).
- Kineo View Motor Lodge, Greenville, Maine, AAA Two Diamond Motel This family-run two-story motel, which offers exterior entrances and continental breakfast, is for the more budget-minded traveler. Located in a secluded area on vast acreage, guests will enjoy the spectacular hillside and distant lake view.
- Mountain View Resort & Spa, Whitefield, N.H., AAA Four Diamond Classic Historic Hotel This historic resort sits on a hill in the center of the White Mountains, providing panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and foliage. The expanded verandah is a very popular spot to relax and take in the amazing view.
- Antietam Overlook Farm and B&B, Keedysville, Md., AAA Three Diamond Bed & Breakfast Views from the property, set on a mountain ridge overlooking 95 acres, seem to go on forever. See the rolling hills of four states:Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and the historic Antietam Battlefield in the valley below. Each of the five rooms are individually decorated with a country air.
- The Homestead, Hot Springs, Va., AAA Four Diamond Resort HotelNestled in the mountains, The Homestead offers views of fall foliage in all directions. Enjoy the scenery while relaxing in a rocking chair on the veranda or while partaking in one of the resort’s many recreational opportunities.
- The Red Horse Inn, Landrum, S.C., AAA Four Diamond Bed & Breakfast Location and quality of accommodations are the rule here, not to mention the top-notch innkeepers. In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the 100-plus-acre mountaintop property offers breathtaking views of the natural surroundings,