Amazon.com has promised to make a paid app free every day in the Amazon Appstore, and today’s app is C25K Pro.
Follow me on Twitter and on Facebook
C25K Pro is priced at $0.99 in the Android Market, and is normally priced at $1.99 in the Amazon Appstore. As we noted previously, prices sometimes differ between the two stores.
C25K Pro is described as follows:
From Slouch to Runner
C25K is short for Couch to five kilometers. C25K Pro for your smartphone is designed to get just about anyone from being a couch potato to running either five kilometers or 30 minutes in just nine weeks.
Too many people have been deterred from running simply because they try starting off too fast and too far. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves. You should ease into your running program gradually, with the help of C25K Pro on your Android device.
Couch to five kilometers is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The C25K running plan from Cool Running is a great way to get someone who’s never run before to being a three-mile runner in nine weeks. It alternates running and walking, slowly getting the body accustomed to distance running. It times your workout, letting you know through audio clips when it’s time to switch your pace while listening to the music of your choice or podcasts you’ve downloaded onto your smartphone. For example, switch pace from walking to running, or from running to cooling down. Additionally, if you like C25K, there’s a follow up plan that will get you to 10K.
This Pro version has background mode, music controller, voice cues, custom sounds and notifications, and Facebook integration.
In C25K Pro’s settings, you can customize your program regimen:
- Volume boost allows you to set the correct volume for program notifications while other music of your choice is playing.
- Screen lock allows you to choose whether or not to lock your screen during a session so no other processes can be accidentally launched while you’re running.
- Vibrate on Notification alerts you physically of a change in your running session.
- Customize your Facebook messages and choose whether you want to be prompted to update your Facebook page.
- You can choose your own notification sounds on top of the built-in voice and bell ones. You can actually use any ringtone for any notification.
- You can choose additional notifications for one-minute left, halfway, or custom markers. You can also choose whether you want the notifications spoken by a male or female voice, or bell alerts.
- You can control the music right from within the app. No need to switch apps if you want to pause, forward, or go back on your playlist.
- Notification for “turning around” when you’re in the middle of the workout, in case you want to run and then come back.
C25K Pro has a 4.5-star rating in the Android Market, and a 4.5-star rating in the Amazon Appstore.
This unanimous rating of 4.5 is enough for us. If this app interests you, and admittedly, it’s a niche product, get it.
Those who are considering “buying” a Free Amazon Appstore app might want to consider what it means to developers.
Amazon.com opened up the Appstore despite a lawsuit by Apple, which has previously trademarked the term “App Store.” Microsoft has filed an appeal against that trademark, saying the term is too generic. Amazon.com has responded to the lawsuit in the same manner.