Many countries claim the origin of this sweet delight and it can be found throughout Middle Eastern countries but we stuck with our own Greek recipe. The layers of nut and honey filled phylo dough topped with extra honey after baking are mouth watering and a perfect dessert to finish a Greek meal.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb crushed nuts (pistachios or walnuts)
- 8 sheets phylo dough
- 1 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cloves (grinded)
- Olive oil
- Oil each sheet of phylo dough and place on top of each other.
- Cut all sheets in half and set one half aside.
- Place the other half on an oiled cookie sheet.
- Mix the nuts with cinnamon, cloves, sugar and ¾ of the honey.
- Paste on top of the phylo dough sheets and cover with other half of the sheets.
- Place in a preheated oven (350) for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and score into 12 squares.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remainder of the honey and some crushed nuts.
Serve at room temperature with Greek coffee.