Chocolate and whiskey is a wonderful mix of favorite flavors. The mixture of whiskey and chocolate is unique and is a favorite around the holidays. A quarter cup of Irish whiskey gives the pudding a gentle flavor. A half cup if you are serving to devout whiskey drinkers. The creaminess of the milk chocolate is only enhanced by the flavor of a good whiskey. If you like a thick creamy chocolate pudding – check this out. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 oz (or 3 squares) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter – soften
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream – optional
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
- Whisk in eggs, and then put over medium heat.
- Whisk in whiskey, half-and-half, and milk. Whisking constantly until lumps disappear and mixture begins to thicken – about 11 minutes.
- Keep to just below a simmer. Whish in chocolate until melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Pour pudding into one large or several small bowls or large martini glasses. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill in refrigerator until cold for up to a day.
Another serving suggestion – Pour the pudding into a large piecrust and chill. This makes a great Chocolate cream pie.