Portion sizes. They so tiny and a lot of times we just ignore what the package says and dig in without thinking twice. While that really isn’t the best approach to take, sometimes you just cannot help yourself.
While eating too much of anything can cause weight gain (which can lead to a whole host of problems down the road), there are seven foods (and probably more out there) that you can overdose on that may have some odd (and maybe even dire) consequences.
Apparently you can eat too many vegetables. Carrots, while full of vitamins, minerals and fiber have the ability to discolor your skin if you eat too many of them. These veggies contain a lot of beta-carotene, what makes carrots orange, and tends to accumulate in the outermost layer of your skin. Looks like the saying, “you are what you eat,” holds some truth! Don’t worry though, other than looking like you just came out of the fake and bake box, this condition is harmless so keep on munching on the vegetable horses love!
- Tuna used in sushi
Mmm, sushi. Mmm, spicy tuna roll. Hmm, bluefin tuna sashimi. Yes, this tuna is absolutely delicious but unfortunately it contains a lot of mercury. Bluefin tuna are very large fish, which accumulate mercury in their muscles because they consume small fish during their life spans. Mercury can cause severe neurological problems, which is why the FDA recommends that people eat no more than 6 ounces of tuna steak a week.
- Kombucha Tea
It was all the rage not too long ago but the hype has died down. Kombucha is a sugary, black tea fermented by a “Kombucha mushroom.” The American Cancer Society has warned that certain mushrooms may contain contaminants such as mold and fungi (ironic considering mushrooms are fungus) that can cause illness. In fact some have been hospitalized because of over consumption of this beverage. Keeping quantities under four ounces per day is the prescribed dosage if you want to keep drinking the tea.
Coffee is the most popular beverage in the United States. This is a very healthy addiction as it has many positive benefits to our health. The downside to drinking too much though is that caffeine can cause insomnia, restlessness, nausea, irregular heartbeat, muscle tremors, anxiety and headaches. Drinking too much caffeine can even be fatal. A typical eight-ounce cup of medium roast coffee has about 200 mg of caffeine. Generally limiting yourself to 350 mg per day, and stopping drinking at least eight hours before if your best bet.
- Star Fruit
You may not have even heard of star fruit before but if you ever do encounter it be warned that it has been found to have a depressive effect on the central nervous system. Acute kidney failure in those with kidney disease can result from eating too much of this star shaped fruit. Intoxication symptoms include hiccups, vomiting, weakness, insomnia, altered consciousness, convulsions and hypotension. Good thing it’s pretty rare in the United States.
Even though we are mostly made up of water, consuming too much can lead to trouble. If you drink enough water to dilute the concentration of sodium in your blood, hyponatremia will occur. This is common in endurance athletes but you can easily monitor your water consumption so as to not over hydrate. Don’t give up water completely just don’t drink two tons of it in a day!
Yes, nutmeg tastes rad on that pumpkin spice latte you just purchased (thank you seasonal treats), but consuming more than just a dusting can result in hallucinating. Three to eight hours after consuming too much nutmeg, side effects such as anxiety, fear and the feeling of impending doom could take effect. Some people even experience psychotic episodes. Over consumption is rarely deadly but it can happen, so stick to dustings of this spice just to enhance the holidays.
The next time you encounter any of these foods, just remember; there may be somewhat immediate consequences for your actions.