Cushaws are being harvested all over the Bluegrass Region. This long-necked winter squash is good for storing through the winter and makes a delicious cushaw pie. Here is a great recipe for cushaw pie:
Yummy Cushaw Pie
- 1 unbaked pie shell (or homemade pie crust)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, mashed cushaw
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp allspice (or can substitute pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/2 tsp lemon or lime extract
- 2 tbsp butter
Clean, peel and either boil your cushaw or back it in the oven. Stir together the mashed cushaw and cream; add beaten eggs. Mix well and add sugar, flour, salt, nutmeg, and allspice (or pumpkin pie spice); mix well to blend. Blend in lemon extract and butter.
Pour mixture into the prepared unbaked pie shell and bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake about 40 minutes longer.