We are in the midst of a glorious three day holiday weekend in New York. What better way to celebrate in such beautiful weather than to gather the gang to head out and visit one of the many farms on Long Island to take advantage of finding your “Great Pumpkin” to bring home and decorate.
Even with the traffic and congestion there are still farms left to explore. Find pumpkins, and bushels of fruit, even have fun petting animals and taking hayrides.
Make a plan before you start on your adventure. How do you want to decorate the abode for Halloween? If you want unique and creative Halloween fun, check out my article http://knotmove.com/interior-design-in-new-york/interior-decorate-the-abode-to-celebrate-halloween. For elegant ideas read my article http://knotmove.com/interior-design-in-new-york/decorating-the-abode-with-elegance-for-halloween. Looking for romance read my article http://knotmove.com/interior-decorating-in-national/a-twilight-abode-decor-decorating-romance-vampires-and-halloween.
Now it is time to have fun and explore; here are a few Long Island farms for you to visit and enjoy:
- Stakey’s Pumpkin Farm is a true old fashioned pumpkin picking farm to take a trip to. It is a vast 26-acre farm with 18 different varieties of pumpkins to choose from. This is one of the rare farms left that you will be able to pick your own pumpkins straight off the vine. Free admission and parking make and even a free hay maze for the little ones. This farm offers hay rides, pony rides and more.
Pumpkin Picking Season is right up to Halloween, Oct 31
Pumpkin Picking Hours: Weekdays 12pm-5pm/Weekend 10am-5pm, October Hours 9am-5pm
Stakey’s Pumpkin Farm
270 West Lane
- Benners Farm offers 15 acres of land to have your pick of pumpkins. They offer great family fun. Admission to the farm includes pumpkin picking, a nature trail hike, hayrides, the petting farm and fun on the famous BIG swing! You can also paint a small pumpkin for $2.
Pumpkin Picking Season: Oct 2-Oct 30/ Open weekends
Pumpkin Picking Hours: 12pm-4pm
Admission: $6 for adults/ $5 for children
56 Gnarled Hollow Road
East Setauket, NY
- Organics Today features an organic pumpkin patch where visitors are able to pick their own pesticide-free pumpkins right off the vine! This three acre organic farm is open from April 1st through November 1st. Organics Today Farm doesn’t charge admission or parking fees. There are tractor-pulled hayrides for $3 per person in season. While there at the farm, enjoy a hayride and enjoy the delicious offerings of homemade pumpkin pies, roasted corn, apple cider donuts and baked apples.
Organics Today Farm
160 Washington Street
East Islip, NY
(631) 650-4424 (call from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Friendly Farms is another organic farm within easy reach from Metro New York. It sits on 2.2 acres in East Meadow. You can pick your own pumpkins as well as other fruits and vegetables in season. Check their website or call for dates and hours of their annual Fall Festival, where you and the kids can pay for a hayride, enter the Halloween Haunted House, make a scarecrow, paint pumpkins and more.
832 Merrick Avenue
East Meadow, NY
- Schmitt’s Family Farm is a well known Halloween destination. They offer a corn maze, hayrides, a hay pyramid, farm animals, and a pirate ship themed playground. Schmitt’s has organized pre-picked fields of pumpkins, with the pumpkins organized by size. Schmitt’s is recognized as having one of Long Island’s spookiest Haunted Houses and a Haunted Corn Maze. There is a children’s daytime haunted mansion as well. Check the site for corn maze coupons.
Pumpkin Picking Season is until Nov 1
Pumpkin Picking Hours are 9am-5pm/Check website or call for days open, some days the farm is closed, and different days showcase different events.
Admission is Free
Schmitt’s Family Farm
26 Pinelawn Road
- Fritz Lewin Farms offers, simply, old fashioned pumpkin picking. You are actually going into a pumpkin field and picking your own pumpkin from the vine. You can also find all kinds of vegetables to pick plus apples and some other fruits.
Fritz Lewin Farms
1989 Sound Avenue
- Elwood Pumpkin Farm is a little known farm located in Huntington, where you can pick pumpkins right off the vine. They are Long Island’s most western actual working pumpkin farm, making it an easy trip from the city. There is no admission charge. There is a $3 fee for the kids’ corn maze. Hayrides are $3 for a short ride and $6 for a longer ride. Open Sat, Sun, and holidays from 10am to 5pm. Mon thru Fri they are open after school from 3pm to 6pm.
Elwood Pumpkin Farm
1500 Jericho Turnpike
Enjoy your long weekend and the lovely weather. Have fun creating beautiful décor with your new finds. I wish an easy fast and Happy New Year to my Jewish readers, and a pleasurable Columbus Day to all. Celebrate the long weekend with a day out and some decorating fun. Find some music and never be afraid to dance!
Read and subscribe to my articles written for the New York Examiner
Be sure to subscribe to my National Interior Decorating articles as well
Check out my blog site! http://weberlifedesign.wordpress.com/ . Support my blog; go to top right corner of my blog page, enter email