In the fast paced world of living in the Metro New York area of Long Island we know of the desperate need to “green” our spaces. We seem to be bombarded in all directions about the need to save our environment. Long Islanders are well aware of the shrinking landscapes of our communities and are now fighting to keep our open spaces.
Everyone can pitch in and help green our lives with some simple steps:
- Allocate a space in your abode to store recyclables. If you do not have room inside keep a simple container outside that everyone can drop the recyclables into as they head out.
- Reclaim items and turn your recyclables into décor. This saves on unnecessary waste and invokes creativity. Check out my articles http://knotmove.com/interior-design-in-new-york/abode-d-cor-think-reclaimed-recycled-repurposed-and-renewable, http://knotmove.com/interior-design-in-new-york/lighting-your-abode-redesign-existing-fixtures-and-diy-new-ideas, and http://knotmove.com/interior-design-in-new-york/designing-your-abode-repurposing-unused-items for decorating ideas.
- Change all the light bulbs to energy efficient ones.
- Turn water off when it should not be running; such as when you are brushing your teeth.
- Lights do not have to be kept on in every room.
Get the entire household involved with finding ways to conserve.
Grow a garden; make your abode beautiful before you even enter inside. Have the kids grow their own gardens with vegetables that they will enjoy eating. This is cost effective, creates beauty, and results in giving back to the environment, as well growing your own organic goodies and no longer needing to use the gas to go to the grocery store as often. If you do not have an outside space, grow some herbs on your window sill.
Think solar power; there are simple ways to enhance your abode with solar power. Add tubular skylights to a dark room. My article, http://knotmove.com/interior-design-in-new-york/abode-decorating-home-improvements-for-the-best-return, gives you more information on these easily installed alternative skylights. Solar power is the energy of the future. Although the initial investment could be costly it will save you money in the long term and will help save the earth. Many people are starting small by using solar power to heat a pool.
It is important to stay open minded to change. Just like changing eating habits in order to be healthier in our bodies, energy habits need to be changed as well in order to have a healthier environment. Learn to drive a little slower in order to use less gas, unplug unused appliances (electrical devices are still using power if plugged in and not in use), Instead of throw away paper towels use rags and microfiber towels for dusting and cleaning. Newspaper is great to use for cleaning glass and mirrored services. It prevents any streaking.
Make it an adventure and challenge to green your own abode environment!
Never be afraid to dance!
Read and subscribe to my articles written for the New York Examiner
Be sure to subscribe to my National Interior Decorating articles as well
Check out my blog site! http://weberlifedesign.wordpress.com/. Support my blog; go to top right corner of my blog page, enter email