The local food movement is really gaining traction all over the U.S., but especially in the Washington, D.C. region where we have an abundant access to farms in the tri-state area. With local foodies flocking to restaurants that support local farmers, it’s not surprising then to have one restaurant set up a dinner at one of their farms. On September 28 and 29, the award-winning chefs of Birch and Barley will set up a beer dinner at local Virginia farm Arcadia.
Chef Kyle Bailey, Pastry Chef Tiffany MacIsaac, and Beer Director Greg Engert will enlighten guests with a fresh, local dinner in support of the group Outstanding in The Field whose mission is to bring guests to farm.
The menu includes:
- Testa with Violet Mustard & Frisee Served on Housemade Multigrain Bread
- Acorn Squash Soup with Sage & Housemade Ricotta
- Pumpkin Flatbread, Cardoons, Pecorino & Pinenuts
Beer Pairing: RhinoFest, Lost Rhino Brewing Company, Ashburn, Virginia
- Salad of Arugula, Roasted Peppers, Grilled Watermelon, Grilled Bok Choy, White Balsamic Vinaigrette & Lardons
- Roasted Beets, Mizuna, Beet Greens, Housemade Ricotta & Candied Walnuts
- Radish & Chile Salad with Lime, Mint & Cilantro
Beer Pairing: Steel Wheels ESB, Blue Mountain Brewing Company, Afton, Virginia
- Ricotta Cavatelli with Braised Pork Shoulder, Lima Beans & Fresh Herbs
- Grilled Blue Catfish, Roasted Hakurei Turnips, Barigouled Cardoons & Sauteed kale
Beer Pairing: The Citizen, DC Brau, Washington, DC
- Brined Grilled Pork Loin, Sauteed Sweet Potato Greens, Blood Scrapple & Jalapeño Corn Bread
- Roasted Chicken, Confit Legs, Seared Mini Potatoes & Wine-Braised Collard Greens
Beer Pairing: Autumnal, Stillwater Artisanal, Westminster, Maryland
- Apple Pie with Cinnamon Chantilly, Caramel & Granola
Beer Pairing: The Greater Pumpkin, Heavy Seas Brewing Company, Halethorpe, Maryland
Although the Wednesday evening is sold out, there are still tickets left for the Thursday dinner. They are $220 per person and a portion of the proceeds will go to Arcadia Farm at Woodlawn, whose mission is to support sustainable food and agriculture, as well as educating the population on local farms and bring food to those in DC who need it most through their soon to arrive Mobile Market.