Wife appreciation day, Sunday, September 18th.
Wives do a lot. I mean a lot. Men, do you recognize this about your spouse? I know what you are thinking already. “Great, another day I have to go through the torture of shopping for a gift for my wife and I am not very good at this whole…, hey, is there a Husband Appreciation Day?” Relax, you don’t have to get your wife anything (although, I doubt she would argue if you did), you just need to let her know she is appreciated on Sunday September 18th. And yes, there is a Husband Appreciation Day, but it’s in April so you will have to wait.
Still a little unsure about this special day for wives? After all, she does have her birthday, Mother’s Day, and Valentine’s Day. Yes, well this is different. Sure you thank her for the work she does at home and sometimes also outside the home, but does she know how much you appreciate her? Do you know how much you appreciate her? Sure we can all think of the more obvious ways that wives help their husbands and families such as cooking and cleaning, but what about some of her other contributions to the family.
Wives are often the ones who make the time to fill up the social and family activities calendar. She is the one who volunteers at school and gets to know your kids’ friends and their parents. All of this helps contribute to a family’s sense of connection to their communities. This does come a little more naturally to most women, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t take a lot of effort.
Women nurture and make their homes comfortable for their families. They run errands so that everyone has what they need. They set the tone for the whole family and are the glue that holds everyone together.
I know many men are a little more comfortable with hard facts and figures. Well, maybe this will help quantify it for you. According to salary.com women who stay at home who typically spend their time performing 10 different job functions would earn a salary of $115,432. Working mothers would earn another $63,472 on top of their “day” jobs.
So men, your wives do work hard and they want to please you. So, if you have a wonderful wife whod does all this and more, it is time to appreciate her. Beyond a typical “thank you” this weekend what can you do to show your wife some appreciation? Let me offer you a little help.
- Write her a letter outlining the special things she does that makes your life easier and how you appreciate it.
- Give her the night off and let her relax how she wants to.
- Make a detailed list of what you appreciate about her and read it to her, then let her have the list.
- Do something for her that you wouldn’t normally do and leave her a note telling her you did it because you appreciate her (mop the floor, clean her car, pick up the kids, bring her a cute gourmet cupcake)
- Send her an online greeting card, special emails, or texts throughout the day.
- Go over old letters you saved from your dating days. There will be rich information about what you appreciated (and maybe forgot) about your spouse. Remind her you still appreciate those qualities and add a few new ones.
If this doesn’t give you any ideas, you can call your mom, sister, or your wife’s friend to see if they have any ideas for appreciating your wife. Most of all, be sincere in how you appreciate her. She will know if you aren’t. Happy Wife Appreciation Day!
Women and Men: Help the men out there that are looking for some ideas. Please use the comment button below and give your creative ideas. Men, also tell us what you appreciate about your wives.