Today’s Dr. Oz Show featured 100 foods that he thinks should be in your shopping cart. Many of the items are healthy-living staples you’d expect: quinoa, Greek yogurt, canned beans and ground turkey breast. There also are loads of herbs and spices, oddball items like sauerkraut and interesting cuts of meat like bison. But don’t worry, there are some more indugent things on the list, like slow-churned ice cream, sweet potato fries and bite-sized dark chocolate.
At left is a printable list of the 100 Foods Dr. Oz Wants in Your Shopping Cart.
Health magazine today also came out with a list — its seventh annual Food Awards. Health tested nearly 500 convenience food products and ranked them according to category coming up with a list of 30 products available in grocery store aisles nationwide.
You can find the entire list at Health.com, but here are Health‘s selections for best snack options:
- Snack Bar: Luna Chocolate Dipped Coconut ($1.39 for 1 bar) A delicious snack that contains nutrients women need more of: folate, iron, calcium, and vitamin D.
- Candy Bar: Skinny Cow Heavenly Crisp Milk Chocolate Candy Bar ($4.29 for box of 6) Has a slim 110 calories, 6 grams fat, and 9 grams sugar.
- Dipper: Cedar’s Natural Wheat Pita Chips ($2.99 for 6-oz bag) Whole-wheat flour is this chip’s very first ingredient.
- Dip: Cedar’s Mediterranean Artichoke Spinach & Cheese Authentic Greek Yogurt Dip ($2.69 for 11 oz) Creamy, cheesy, and lower in calories than most comparable dips—just 80 calories per serving.
- Yogurt: Stonyfield Organic Oikos Superfruits ($1.99 for 5.3-oz cup) With as much protein as half a chicken breast, the fat-free, 130-calorie cup is a great post-workout treat.
- Chips: Food Should Taste Good Toasted Sesame Tortilla Chips ($2.99 for 6-oz bag) Sesame seeds give corn tortilla chips a toasty flavor, and this snack keeps you full with 3 grams fiber per serving.
- Fruit to Go: Sunsweet D’Noir Prunes ($3.29 for 9-oz bag) The juicy fruit has 3 grams of filling fiber per serving.
- Trail Mix: Planters NUT-rition Omega-3 Mix Multipacks ($5.99 for 7-pack box) Contains heart-healthy dark chocolate-covered soy nuts, omega-3-rich walnuts, and fat-free, tangy dried cranberries.
- Nut Spread: Barney Butter Almond Butter Snack Packs ($10.08 for box of 24) Slim packs you can toss in your purse for an on-the-go protein fix.
- Frozen Treat: Ciao Bella Blueberry Passion Sorbet Bar ($4.99 for box of 3 bars) The 70-calorie bar gets its tart fruitiness from natural juices.