We pick up a week after the season ender. Steve’s in jail. Kono’s under investigation. Chin Ho is back with the HPD. Danno is ticked off. Jenna is in her hotel room, filing things and gathering info. Masi Oka has title billing. There’s a funeral for the Governor, and Chin sees Wo Fat. He has nothing to arrest him for, but Chin is apparently a pickpocket, because he gets the wallet of one of the henchmen and they’ll follow him to find his boss.
Kono is off the force and not taking it well, so when they need someone to tail the guy, she’s there. She gets photographic evidence of a deal going down with Wo Fat, but the other henches catch her and she loses it all. She’s conveniently tied up until the climax, when she kicked a guy in the head and calls Chin Ho to warn him of the deal.
Steve goes out into the yard for his daily exercize and Hess attacks him with a shank, but instead of killing him, he only wounds him enough to get him out of the jail and Steve escapes. Hess is smart enough to see that Wo Fat is tying up loose ends and once Steve’s dead, he’ll be dead, too, so he sets Steve to get Wo Fat first. Steve steals a cop car and bleeds all over the place until he shows up at Max’s place and Max patches him up.
During all of this, everyone assumes that John Locke– called Joe here– is there to rescue Steve, but he spends half the episode helping Steve find evidence from his dad’s case, and being the new Expository Boy since Chin has things to do this episode. That evidence leads them to realize that there was a secret camera in the Governor’s office, and the evidence there proves Steve didn’t kill her, though it doesn’t show Wo Fat’s face, so they still have nothing on him.
This is just in time for Kono’s call, and they all head off to stop the deal. Wo Fat’s not there, of course, and while they’re wrapping that up, Wo Fat’s in the jail offing Hess– AND THEN JENNA DRIVES HIM AWAY!!!
It was a pretty great episode. All the silly action, the snappy dialogue, the bromance elements. Jenna Kaye was still there, and Joe is a pretty interesting addition to the mix, if not all that defined yet. And then there was that last scene with Jenna playing driver, and this reviewer almost lost it. No! She’s so cool! And there needs to be more girls in this show! And she’s the only one who doesn’t solve problems by punching them! And she’s so much fun with Steve! That there, proved to be the hook: what the heck is going on there? Everything else was well-handled and perfectly within the context of the show, and was all expected, and then there was that twist, and it was very effective.
This is going to be a fun season.
– Max is going to be a permanent character! That’s what it means when you get a credit!
– The new Governor is not having any of it, and that should be interesting, because they relied an awful lot on the old one getting them out of scrapes and giving them access to things. Now they have to do it themselves.
– The investigation is still ongoing. Good, that’s plot-fodder.
– It’s so very nice to see the bromance again.
– Chin Ho is so BA that he can shoot a guy on the other side of a boat, with a big gun, from a second boat, when both are going flat out, without aiming.
– Kono doesn’t have a badge right now, but no one mentioned that she totally shot a guy in public.
– Rachel’s coming back. That storyline is so tepid.
– Jenna! What are you doing?
– Hess is dead. He was cool.
– The commercials for next week. If they’re replacing anyone, it’s probably going to be Jenna, not Kono, and to replace her with someone tall and blonde and model-pretty is super annoying. It was nice having a woman of normal size and generally normal good looks on a show like this, where everyone tends to be unrealistically good looking.
– Ideally, Jenna is being a double agent. If they want to kill the fans, she’s been on Wo Fat’s side all along. If that’s the case, the new ideally is that Steve wins her over with his unlikely good looks, and then she’s a double agent. If not, she’s so going to have to die, and that will be super-sad.
– If Steve’s dad was dirty, maybe his best friend Joe was in on it too! Maybe Steve is surrounded by traitors.
Watch Hawaii Five-0 Monday nights on CBS.
Follow Samantha’s tweets about TV and more @pirategirljack.