October 26th, 2011
By Lisa Lorraine Bowen
Follow me at Google+, Twitter, or Facebook
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Facebook has teamed up with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization to provide an application within Facebook to facilitate donations for the Komen Race for the Cure fundraising efforts.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the organization formerly known as The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and is now commonly referred to as Komen is the largest and most successfully funded breast cancer organization in the US. It was founded by Nancy Goodman Brinker the sister of Susan G. Koman who was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33 and died a short three years later. Nancy had made a vow to her sister that she would do everything she could to end breast cancer and has been working towards that goal since 1982. In 2007, the organization revamped its efforts by changing and trademarking its name and a new logo. The new logo, the infamous “pink ribbon” resembles a runner in motion and illustrates the importance of the “Race for the Cure” event the Komen’s signature fundraiser that is the world’s largest for breast cancer education and research.
Facebook is dedicated to helping charities raise money on its platform. Most companies are trying to figure out how to use social media to generate donations. If you would like to do your part and help to fundraise to fight for the cure Facebook can help you set up a fundraising application to your profile to interact with friends and family..
To Install Application:
1. Make a donation to a Susan G. Komen for the Cure affiliate. On the Donation Thank You Page or Donation Thank You Autoresponder Email there is a link to “Fundraise with Facebook” click on that image and follow the steps below.
2. Without making a donation you can still install the application by going to an affiliate website and navigating to GET INVOLVED > SOCIAL MEDIA > and then select Fundraising with Facebook.
3. Login to Facebook if you are not already.
4. Fundraise year-round for the Komen Affiliate with Facebook!
5. Allow the Susan G. Komen for the Cure application to access your Facebook information.
6. Allow the Susan G. Komen for the Cure application to post to your wall and access the data.
7. From the application you can add your profile picture, and update your profile status.
8. After your profile picture is added a stream story is delivered to all your friends and family on how you are now a part of the fundraising efforts of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure.