The state fair is coming and your mouth is watering already! Everybody has a favorite fair food that they make a mad dash for when it comes into eyesight. So what’s your favorite? Here’s a top ten list of the favorite fair food people are already dreaming about:
- Philly cheese steak- This is not the variety you get in a restaurant or fast food dive. The state fair cheese steak is huge and is piled up with meat, cheese, onions and peppers. You smell it immediately when you get out of the car. Grease will saturate your shirt sleeve, but who cares? This is primetime fair food.
- Corn Dog- Sure, you can buy them from the grocery store and even some restaurants, but it’s just not the same. Kids love them and adults love to feel young again when they smother it down with mustard and ketchup. Winner every time.
- Cotton candy and candy apple- These two classics share the number three spot. Both are outrageously expensive, but we could care less at the state fair. It’s the atmosphere and the freshness of these treats that draw us back each year.
- Fried candy bars- Snickers may satisfy you on an ordinary day; however at the state fair, a dip in the batter and fried up golden is the real deal. The variety now spreads far beyond candy bars though. You can even enjoy fried Oreos, bubble gum and cheesecake!
- Roasted corn on the cob- A moment of silence to honor this beloved fair food … Can you tell this might be my favorite? The corn is roasted and shucked, then before they hand it to you … wait for it … they dunk it in a bucket of butter! Liquid gold makes this beautiful vegetable as glorious as the five golden ring in the twelve days of Christmas.
- Fudge- Many vendors sell fudge in the exhibit building; however everyone has a favorite vendor they return to every year. Lines of people wait their turn to purchase a slab of this melt in your mouth confectionary delight.
- Peanuts- A hot pick each and every year is a bag of peanuts in the shell.
- Turkey leg- For a treat that makes you feel like you’re in the Flintstones, the huge turkey leg is yabba dabba delicious! You can eat off of one of these for several days, but it’s so much fun!
- Footlong hot dogs- These mammoth dogs are fully loaded and are a fan favorite each year.
- Fried dough- Also known as elephant ear and funnel cakes. Of course all three are very different; however they are all delicious when covered in chocolate, fruit or just loaded up with powdered sugar. This pivotal favorite fair food will never go out of style!
The NC state fair is quickly approaching, so starting thinking about what your favorite fair food is now! If I left your favorite fair food off my list, I apologize. Add it to the comments below for everyone to enjoy.
© 2011 Amy Bittinger Kunkle, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a knotmove.com
Please consider reading all my topics:
- Raleigh Food click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Etiquette click here to subscribe
- Raleigh TV click here to subscribe
- National Contemporary Etiquette click here to subscribe
- National Women’s Health click here to subscribe
Do you have a passion for something that you would like to share? Why not write about it with knotmove.com? Click here to link to knotmove.com and start sharing your knowledge today