Once Upon a Time premiered on Sunday night, October 23, 2011, on ABC. Fairytale meets modern day is this fantasy world of fun. This show is going to be such a fun TV secret indulgence!
Are you on board? While the storyline gives glimpses to the happily ever after we remember from childhood; Once Upon a Time is not the fairytales of our youth. A breath of fresh air has been to the fairytales, so that adults might just reach out to embrace them once again.
Here is a detailed synopsis of the story line:
On the wedding day of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), and Prince Charming (Joshua Dallas), the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) arrives and delivers an ominous threat about a powerful curse she intends to release upon them. Some time later, a pregnant Snow White is worried about the curse and visits Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) who issues a prophecy that the Queen’s curse will take them all someplace terrible where there will be no happy endings, except for her. He also reveals that Snow White’s unborn daughter, Emma, will return when she is 28 years old to rescue them, thus beginning the final battle with the Queen. On advice from the Blue Fairy, Geppetto (Tony Amendola) and Pinocchio fashion a cupboard from a magical tree which will allow one person to escape the Queen’s curse. On the day Snow White gives birth to her daughter, the Queen’s curse strikes. Prince Charming places their daughter in the magic cupboard, but is mortally wounded battling the Queen’s henchmen. The Queen stands triumphantly over Snow White and Prince Charming as the curse takes them to “someplace horrible”.
In present day Boston, Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) lives a lonely existence working as a bail bondsman and bounty hunter. She is approached by a ten year old boy, Henry, who identifies himself as her son, whom she had given up for adoption as a teenager. Not wanting a relationship with him, Emma agrees to drive him back to his home in not-so-quaint Storybrooke, Maine. Along the way, Henry shows her a large book of fairy tales he has, insisting that all of the stories in it are real. When they arrive in Storybrooke, Henry informs her that everyone in town is in reality a fairy tale character, exiled by the curse and with no memory of their real identities. This includes his therapist, who is really Jiminy Cricket, and his teacher Mary Margaret Blanchard, who is really Snow White. He claims that time is frozen in Storybrooke and the people are unable to leave, but that the curse will be broken by Emma. A skeptical Emma returns Henry to his adopted mother, the town Mayor, who is really the Evil Queen. When Henry soon runs away again, Emma finds him and decides to stay in Storybrooke temporarily. This decision causes the hands of the town clock, previously frozen, to begin moving again.
Here is the look at the cast of Once Upon a Time
- Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, a twenty-eight-year-old bailbonds collector who learns that she holds the key to saving the Real World and the Enchanted Forest. Emma is the daughter of Prince Charming/John Doe and Snow White/Sister Mary Margaret Blanchard, and is Henry’s real mother. Emma was sent from the Enchanted Forest because Prince Charming and Snow White wanted to protect her from the curse made by the Evil Queen.
- Jared Gilmore as Henry, Emma’s son whom she gave up for adoption ten years earlier. Henry learns the truth behind Storybrooke from a book of fairy tales and finds his biological mother with the hopes of convincing her to save the Enchanted Forest. He is the grandson of Prince Charming and Snow White/John Doe and Mary Margaret Blanchard, and the adopted son of The Evil Queen/Regina Mills.
- Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret Blanchard, the eponymous character and main protagonist from the fairy tale and Emma’s biological mother who becomes Henry’s elementary school teacher in the Real World. Snow White is also Henry’s grandmother because Emma is her daughter with her husband Prince Charming/John Doe.
- Joshua Dallas as Prince Charming/John Doe, the hero of the Snow White fairy tale, the leader of the Enchanted Forest’s War Council and Emma’s biological father who becomes an unknown comatose patient at Storybrooke General Hospital. Prince Charming is Henry’s grandfather because Emma is his daughter by Snow White.
- Lana Parrillaas The Evil Queen /Regina Mills, the icy, darkly beautiful antagonist of the Snow White fairy tale who becomes Henry’s adoptive mother and Storybrooke’s mayor (Regina Mills) in the Real World. She is determined to keep Emma away from Henry.
- Jamie Dornan as Sheriff Graham, Storybrooke’s handsome and authoritative sheriff with a mysterious past.
- Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket/Archie Hopper, the cricket from Pinocchio who becomes Storybrooke’s eccentric, yet bookish, human resident psychiatrist in the Real World. In animated form, he is Jiminy Cricket in The Enchanted Forest and a member of the War Council.
- Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold, the eponymous character and main antagonist from the fairy tale who becomes Storybrooke’s wealthiest resident and pawnshop owner in the Real World. He helped build and owns the town.
- Giancarlo Esposito as the Magic Mirror/Sydney, A spirit imprisoned by the Evil Queen who becomes a reporter for Storybrooke’s local newspaper The Daily Mirror in the Real World.
Water cooler talk in Raleigh seems to be focused on Once Upon a Time and that is not surprising. Be sure to tune in next Sunday night, October 30, 2011 at 8:00pm EST.
ABC stations in Raleigh are:
- Local WTVD 11
- TWC 111, 1111
- AT&T U-verse 1011
- Direct TV 946
- Dish 11
You are probably starting to think this might be a show worth watching, aren’t you? Well your in luck because you can watch Once Upon a Time episodes on ABC.com. Fairy tales don’t often meet up with the modern world, so embrace Once Upon a Time and indulge yourself into fantasy.
© 2011 Amy Bittinger Kunkle, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a knotmove.com
Please consider reading all my topics:
- Raleigh Food click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Etiquette click here to subscribe
- Raleigh TV click here to subscribe
- National Contemporary Etiquette click here to subscribe
- National Women’s Health click here to subscribe
Do you have a passion for something that you would like to share? Why not write about it with knotmove.com? Click here to link to knotmove.com and start sharing your knowledge today.