The Texas Auto Writers Association (TAWA) named the 2012 Ford F-150 as the 2011 Truck of Texas on Sunday. Ford reclaims the coveted title for 2011 with the 2012 Ford F-150 Platinum Edition, and the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.
The 2012 Ford Edge Limited was named CUV (Crossover Utility Vehicle) of Texas.
TAWA members also selected the 2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Duty as the Heavy Duty Truck of Texas for 2011.
The top vehicle awards were rounded out with the SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) of Texas for 2011 being awarded to the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
In addition to the vehicle awards, the Texas Auto Writers Association also reviews and judges new features in the competing vehicles. For 2011, TAWA members selected the Ford EcoBoost engine technology as the Outstanding Feature of Texas. EcoBoost uses gasoline turbocharged direct-injection technology for up to 20 percent better fuel economy, 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions and superior driving performance versus larger displacement engines
Ford was also named as the 2011 Truck Line of Texas.
“These honors show Ford trucks still reign supreme in Texas, and it is rewarding to see that the truck-savvy Texas auto writers appreciate just how innovative our F-Series pickups are,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas. “These awards validate what our customers have been telling us about our ‘Built Ford Tough’ F-150, and we are honored by their recognition of the strength of our truck lineup as well as our crossovers and EcoBoost engines.”
The competition held at Knibbe Ranch in Spring Branch, Texas this year, was one of the largest ever in terms of print, broadcast, electronic and social media representatives reviewing one of the most capable selection of entries ever submitted by the manufacturers. Over 60 journalists reviewed 48 entries in 14 categories over the demanding course at Knibbe Ranch. More than 1700 runs were made testing the capabilities and performance of the vehicles in off road and on the road environments.
The winners of the 14 categories from which the grand awards were selected are:
In the Pick up category:
- Full Size – 2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCab / SuperCrew;
- Luxury – 2012 Ford F-150 Platinum Edition 4X2 / 4X4 SuperCrew w/EcoBoost engine
- Heavy Duty – 2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Duty 4X4 CrewCab
- Mid Size – 2012 Nissan Frontier PRO 4X
For the SUV category:
- Full Size – 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD
- FS Luxury – 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4X4
- Mid Size – 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4X4
- Mid Size Luxury – 2012Toyota 4Runner Ltd 4WD
- Compact – 2012 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X
In the CUV category:
- Full Size – 2012 GMC Acadia Denali Edition
- FS Luxury – 2012 Buick Enclave Premium
- Mid Size – 2012 Ford Edge Limited w/ EcoBoost engine
- Mid Size Luxury – 2012 Cadillac SRX Premium
- Compact – 2012 Toyota RAV4 4WD