Foster Parents; “back to the basics,”
documentation. Part 9 of 9.
We are talking about ways you can encourage other foster parents who have not yet discovered this educational resource. We had just mentioned a book that will be on line soon available to everyone; however, it is alright to share with others, write down some of the important points/quotes, do your own synopsis of the teaching within this book. We encourage you to get the information out there to your fellow foster parents.
- There is, however, something that we have learned in all the years we have been serving as advocates within the foster parents realm.
Facts you need to be aware of in acting as an advocate;
- In assisting others in the quest for educational resources and in utilizing you for one of their most valuable resources there are several facts that you need to be aware of.
Conduct this little project that we often do in our workshops. Discover for yourself how many attorneys there are listed in the yellow pages under specialties of law?
- DWI Attorneys
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Now Administrative Law
Ever stop to wonder why? It is because attorneys have realized this fact too. Who wants to work in a field of law where clients are teachers, fire / police personnel, or foster parents none of which have a lot of money to pay you.
People afford what they consider their own top priorities. Cigarettes, Starbucks coffee, or other incidentals that cost about the same as the legal plan to protect them, more importantly their families, it is at the bottom of priorities, and sadly coverage (insurance) of any kind is usually the first to go when economic times are tough, as in the present. It is something they can cancel to save money.
- Question; what about your spouse if something unforeseen happens to you, can she/he live without that coverage. Priorities are everything. We are firm believers in insurance coverage.
What I am saying is this; the same people who tell you that they cannot afford to purchase the plan to protect themselves will go out the same day they tell you that and spend three dollars for a cup of Starbucks coffee. These same people will spend how much for a pack of cigarettes. They will find the necessary monies to hire a excellent attorney to defend them against charges. The plan $17. for 24/7 coverage, the book, what is important to you protection, cigarettes, coffee or security for your family?
Ready for a little experiment?
- Remember, that scenario we created? No peaking or going back, this exercise is to prove to you how unreliable memories can be, even yours.
- Let us see how well you do.
- What was the name of the fireman who cleaned the injury?
- What was the name of the park where the fair was set up?
- What time of day did this incident occur?
- Who else was there? What was the date?
Always remember this little scenario; memory, yours or anyone else’s is unreliable. It has been days since we set up this scenario, how much would you remember if it were weeks, months, or years?
Get it, got it, good. Point made. Documentation is your only defense.
Back to the basics, next topic Administrative Law.
Watch for our upcoming series titled “Ethics”.