There are many frugal and free family fun activities in the Roanoke Valley, even in the fall and winter. From ice-skating and museum events, these budget-friendly, and family-friendly, ideas will delight families with kids of all ages!
1. “Winter Break Fun” Indoor ice-skating at the Roanoke Civic Center.
· Dates: 12/19-12/23 from 1pm to 5pm
· Admission: $5 per person, plus $2 skate rental
2. Stay warm with a visit to the Science Museum of Western Virginia! Hands-on, interactive exhibits include:
· Popular Chesapeake Bay touch tank
· Circulatory system models
· Fiber optics displays
· MegaDome Theatre—guests are able to explore our galaxy or swim with whales while watching a film projected on the a forty-foot dome
· Planetarium also on premises
· The Launch Pad Museum Shop has creative and educational gifts available
· Hours: Tues-Sat, 10am to 5pm and Sun 1pm to 5pm
3. Taubman Museum of Art
· Displays include 19th and 20th century regional artwork
· Also on exhibit: Hudson River artists, Japanese prints, folk art and some Rodin works
· Admission: Adults only $10.50, Seniors (60+) $9, Students $8.50, Child (4-12) $5.50, Kids 3 and under Free
· Hours: Tues-Wed, Fri-Sat 10am to 5pm and Thurs 10am to 7pm, Sun Noon to 5pm
· A few of the fall/winter activities include:
§ Every Thursday starting 11/3 through 12/15 is the Young at Art Workshop for ages 2-5
§ 11/5 Free admission day courtesy of Valley Bank and featuring lots of fun family activities.
§ During the months of November and December there are special screenings and performances!
§ Website for upcoming events and other information: www.taubmanmuseum.org
4. O. Winston Link Museum
· Check out the “Raymond Loewy” gallery. This exhibit showcases the life and career of industrial engineer Raymond Loewy.
· All collections at this museum are focused on the Norfolk and Western project, and features photography, trains and much more.
· Hours: Mon-Sun 10am-5pm (during the months of Jan-Feb, open Noon-5pm on Sundays)
· Admission: $5 Adults, $4.50 Seniors, $4 Children (3-11)
5. Dixie Caverns and Pottery
· The only caverns in Southwest Virginia!
· 45 minute cavern tour
· Year-long camping
· Gift shop featuring rocks and minerals
· 44 dealer antiques mall
· Pet friendly
· Winter hours: (Oct.16-May 31) Store- 9am to 5pm, Tours- 9:30am to 5pm
· Summer hours: (June 1-Oct.15) Store- 9am to 7pm, Tours- 9:30am to 6pm
Visit www.dixiecaverns.com for ticket information