“Full Speed Ahead!”
Maintaining Speed and Staying Motivated While Accomplishing Goals
Goal-setting is hard enough without having to worry about the end result. No matter how much you try, there do come times when you can lose momentum as you work towards accomplishing your goals. Something as simple as a friend or colleague casting a negative air on your goal-accomplishing path or someone belittling your efforts that could be enough to throw you into a depression and cause you to stop your progress. Staying positive under these circumstances can be very difficult as negative energy is oftentimes so strong and prevalent especially in society as a whole. What you need to remember, as challenging as it is, is that you need to focus on what you want in order to get it—“keep your eyes on the prize”.
Sometimes challenges present themselves in order to make the goal that much more valuable and to improve and develop you as you work towards them. In order to make sure your motivation levels remain high, you’ll need to follow these simple steps:
- Be aware of your beliefs, values and desires. Things that are important to you are things that will keep you going. Making sure you don’t forget what is important to you will help you stay afloat. For further encouragement, write these things down and post them where you’re most likely to see them: the refrigerator, the bathroom mirror, your home office/ work space or slip them into your wallet or purse.
- Perform a self-assessment of what you are currently able to do. For this, you’ll need to be honest with yourself. What are your strengths and weaknesses. Your goals should realistically reflect your self-assessment.
- Understand that challenges will occur. Being prepared ahead of time for the bumps in the road allow you to be better prepared.
- Get the help of a life coach. Life coaches are trained to help you every step of the way. Their job is to encourage you and offer support at all times. Your accountability to them ensures that you don’t get off track and that your actively working towards goal accomplishment.
- Start each day on a positive note. Simply saying, “Today is going to be a great day!” to yourself in the mirror is enough to cause you to have a stronger, brighter outlook on your life.
Motivation is like a train: you can get off track at any point but once you fuel yourself with positivity and support, you are traveling at full speed and will be difficult to stop. Good luck!