October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Some Interesting Facts about Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer death rates are the highest for women in the U.S. and is higher for any other cancer except lung cancer. It is estimated that nearly 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. When breast cancer is found early, rates for survival are at 98%.
- According to women whose doctors recommended regular mammograms actually cut their risk from dying from breast cancer by 30%. Just having mammograms provided translates to at least 15,000 to 20,000 lives saved each year according to Loretta Lawrence, MD, Chief of breast imaging at North Shore University Hospital in Manshasset, New York.
- The American Cancer Society recommends these guidelines for early breast cancer detection. Screening exams help to discover cancers before there is evidence of symptoms.
- Men are as risk too, breast cancer is 100 times less common in men. However, The American Cancer Society estimates that there could be at least 2,000 new cases will be reported this year. It is typically not caught, early in men and is harder to diagnose.
Your diet for staying healthy
The following food categories should be on your shopping list:
Vegetables, Grains, Fruits, Dairy, Protein, Herbs/spices, Condiments, Drinks, and Snacks. Here are some specific details by the categories listed.
Pretty in Pink
The Breast Cancer Research Foundation ® funds more that 175 dedicated scientists at major medical institutions around the world, whose research has led to advances in detection, prevention and treatment. Currently, more than 90 cents of every dollar donated is supporting breast cancer research and awareness programs.
The following beauty products have been listed :Perfect picks for pink
- Elizabeth Hurley Pink Ribbon Collection, $24: EsteeLauder.co, 20% to BCRF.
- Color Flip Palette, $15: Sephora.com $1 per sales to BCRF.
- SmashBox O-Gloss, $22: Smashbox.com 100% to BCRF.
- Lip set, Bobbi Brown Pink Ribbon Collection High Shimmer Lip Gloss & Lip Color, $44-$10 from each sale to BCRF.
- Proudly Pink Five Piece Brush Set, $15: SoniaKashuk.com 15% to BCRF.
- Great Skin, Great Cause Moisturizing Lotion, $36: Clinique.com $10 to BCRF.
Other ways to support Breast Cancer Awareness
- Think Pink: Visit familycircle.com/habit to tell Robert Reames how you plan to make exercising a priority. If he selects your response as his favorites, you’ll receive the Reebox DMX ReeDirect-it’s pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month ($70 value).
- Warriors in Pink® Because the battle rages on, you can buy Warrior wear and gear today at fordcares.com
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer-LBBC.ORG/Also visit WHBM.COM/GIVEHOPE
Sources referenced in this article:
- Readers Digest
- The Costco Connection
- Working Mother
- Family Circle
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Self Magazine
For more information/Sponsors:
American Cancer Society
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
National Breast Cancer Research Center
Living Beyond Breast Cancer
Ford Cares/Warriors in Pink