Attention beer lovers – today is your lucky day! October 27th is American Beer Day. Not to be confused with International Beer Day, National Drink Beer Day or Drink Beer Day, this annual “holiday” celebrates the most popular alcoholic drink in the United States – beer! In fact, it’s estimated that Americans consume more than 50 billion pints annually.
According to the Brewers Association, Anheuser-Busch, Miller Coors Brewing and Pabst are the top three brewing companies in the United States based on 2010 beer sales. With more than 1,600 craft brewers, Boston Beer, Sierra Nevada and New Belgium Brewing Companies round out the top three craft brewing companies in the U.S. While craft beer and imports have been growing in popularity, more than half of all beer sold in convenience stores are premium beers.
Besides drinking it, try a bit of beer in your recipes too. Check out these recipes!
Cooking with Beer Recipes
- Beer Bread Recipe – This top-rated, homemade beer bread recipe calls for self-rising flour, sugar, butter and 12 ounces of beer.
- Swiss Beer Bread Recipe – Better hurry – this recipe, with Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese, won’t last long! Besides regular beer, you can also use non-alcoholic beer too.
- Beer Cheese in a Bread Bowl Recipe – No fuss, no muss! Perfect for parties and get-togethers, this dippin’ recipe calls for pumpernickel bread, sharp American cheese spread, cream cheese, beer and bacon bits. Yum!
- Beer Dip Recipe – This simple-to-make dip recipe is perfect for any occasion! You’ll need cream cheese, beer, ranch salad dressing mix and cheddar cheese.
- Beef and Guinness Stew – Soup’s on!
- White Chili with Beer Recipe – You’ll need boneless chicken breasts, navy or great northern beans, chicken broth, green chilis, an onion, spices, corn starch, cheese and a can of beer.
- Cheddar and Beer Soup with Spicy Popcorn Garnish – This recipe, from Emeril Lagasse, calls fors Kielbasa sausage, onions, all-purpose flour, chicken stock, lager beer, cheddar cheese and spicy popcorn for garnish – recipe included.
- Bread, Bacon and Beer Soup Recipe – And speaking of comfort food, this recipe calls for bacon, an onion, pilsner beer, chicken stock, rye bread, and white cheddar cheese.
- Beer-Braised Sausages with Warm Potato Salad – Talk about comfort food. Just throw it all in a pot and you’re good to go!
- Can-Can Chicken Recipe – Yes you can, can!
- Fried Chicken with Beer – Just to be clear – the beer is IN the recipe!
- Maple Lager Chicken Ridge – You’ll need chicken breasts, lager-style beer, maple syrup, an onion, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, all-purpose flour and unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Hot Dogs with Beer-and-Mustard Onions Recipe – You’ll need 4 onions, dark beer, thick sausages, rolls or French bread, spices and demerara sugar.
- Drunken Cabbage – ‘Nuff said!
- Green Beans in Beer Sauce – What an interesting way to get your recommended daily dose of veggies!
- Beer-Battered Onion Rings – Now we’re talkin! Check out these onion rings dipped in a buttermilk-beer batter.
- What is Craft Beer?
- Check out the different types of American craft brewed ales.
- Did you know there is a United States Beer Drinking Team? It is the “official social networking site for America’s beer drinking community.”
- Watching your waistline? Find out just how many calories are in your favorite beer.
- If you’ve always wanted to make your own beer, here’s your chance.
Whether you consider yourself a beer connoisseur or just enjoy the taste of a great beer every now and then, today is the perfect day to enjoy a nice, cold American brew. Whether your preferred brew of choice is ale, Lagers or home-brewed, Happy American Beer Day! So go ahead, raise your glass and enjoy some suds!
As always, please drink responsibly.
With Halloween just days away, be sure to check out these family-friendly and affordable Halloween ideas to get you into the spirit.
- 35 Orange & Black Halloween Recipes – Spooky dishes, desserts, treats & cocktails
- Free Halloween Stencils & Templates
- Creepy Cocktails & Defrightful Dishes for Halloween
- Halloween Costumes for Kids & Pets
- Visit Virtual Haunted Houses for Halloween
- Scary Ghost Stories and Creepy Paranormal Video Websites
- Free Halloween Printable Projects
- Free pumpkin decorating projects for a spook-tacular Halloween
- Blood-curdling beverages, creepy cocktails and disgusting drinks for Halloween
- Halloween Trick-or-Treat Safety Tips: Keep little ghosts and goblins safe on Halloween
- Create boo-tiful drawings with creepy coloring projects for children
- Spooktacular Halloween Pop-Up Cards
- Halloween recipes: Creepy treats and scary snacks ideas
- Celebrate Halloween with 15 Creepy Movies