Hawaii: Are you planning on painting your house, but
can’t stand that strong smell of paint?
Would you rather use an eco-friendly paint that doesn’t make you dizzy?
Then here are some answers:
In the recent years, many paint companies have been creating eco-friendly paints, to help the environment and the ecosystem.
Nowadays, there’s a large variety of non-fuming paints that doesn’t both pollute the air in your house and the outdoors.
Why is there eco-friendly paints?
Conventional paints contains many harsh VOCs (violatile organic compounds), which creates many health risks to humans, animals and to the environment.
One of the VOCs poisons is formaldehyde, a colorless gas that is used to preserve items in bonding agents.
Compared to the conventional paints, eco-friendly paints contains zero or low levels of VOCs (violatile organic compounds).
The VOCs health effects includes:
- VOCs in long-term exposure, in an indoor environment can contribute to the sick building syndrome. A couple of the sick building syndromes includes fatigue and allergies.
- VOCs also contains formaldehyde, which can make the nasal membranes in your nose irratated.
- Some are carcinogenic, meaning causes cancer.
- Damages the central nervous system
- Loss of coordination / dizziness
- Eye / Nose / throat irritation and discomfort.
More information on VOCs?
Visit EPA (Environmental Protection
Agency) VOC site:
How can you tell if the paint brand is eco-friendly?
Look for these labels that are located on the paints canisters / buckets:
- GreenGuard Environmental Institute
- Green Seal
- Scientific Certification Systems
What brands of paint are eco-friendly?
Ben Moore: Ben Low-VOC paint
Green Builder’s Depot:
Where to buy eco-friendly paints in Hawai’i?
Now that you know the difference between the conventional paints and the eco-friendly paints, you can paint your house healthy.
And remember Hawai’i, to take care of your health, take care of life, take care of the environment and to think Green Hawai’i!