With the childhood obesity rates remaining high, children need to get active and stay active. Healthy Kids Running Series, established by Jeff Long, Founder and President of Pattison Sports Group, wanted to create a program to show kids the fun and benefits of running. Children need to turn off the televisions, computers, video games and adopt a healthy and active lifestyle. A location in Delaware County is Concord Township Park in Glen Mills, Pa. Over 200 students have already participated in this event. The series is still open for five more Fridays. Many sponsors in our local community care and support our youth.
Concord Township, Series (Healthykidsrunningseries.com)
Location: Smithbridge Park
687 Smithbridge Road
Glen Mills, PA
Dates: Fridays, September 16, 23, 30 and October 7, 14
Time: 5:30 – 6:30pm. Suggestion is to arrive 15 minutes early.
Benefits of the series:
- Meet new friends
- Improve self-esteem
- Improve their cardiovascular health
- Establish being active at an early age
- Stimulate brain activity and aid in learning
The Healthy Kids Running Series is:
- A five week running program began in April and runs through mid October
- Kids complete each week and earn points
- Trophies are handed to the children who earn the most points
- All children receive medals regardless of how fast or slow they perform
- Children are able to track there performance
Age Categories and race distance:
- Preschool through Kindergarten runs a 50 yard dash
- Kindergarten through 1st runs a 1/4 mile
- 2nd through 3rd runs a 1/2 mile
- 4th through 5th runs 1 mile
- 6th through 8th runs 1 mile
Benefits of running:
- Weight loss if needed: running requires a great deal of energy, the more energy-the more calories burned.
- Improved Cardiovascular health.
- Slows down the aging process- Bones are strengthened because of the physical demands of running. This will also lessen risks of osteoporosis.
- Psychological effect and mood. The hormones released, endorphins, almost creates a euphoric feeling or ‘runners high’. You truly feel at peace when you are finished. Even with challenging runs the sense of accomplishment if worth the hard work.
- Improves coordination. There is a proper running form for flat surface, and up and down hills. Learning the correct way to run on these surfaces requires coordination.
Choosing your children’s location to run is important. For Healthy Kids Running Series, the parks are the perfect environment to take in nature and be safe. Road running can be dangerous and I do not recommend it for children, unless it is within the safety of their neighborhood and they have running buddies.