Most people tend to feel that afternoon crash around 3 or 4 pm. Most of us want to grab a cup of coffee, run to the vending machine, or eat something sweet like a cookie to get us through that last part of the day.
In chinese medicine, the time between 3 and 5 pm is related to the bladder: a time when we should relax to revitalize our bodies after a long day’s work. It makes sense why there is siesta time in Europe but here in the land of the “busy worker” we do not rest, instead we push our bodies, further taxing our system. Even though a cookie, coffee, or chocolate may perk you up, it is not providing your body with the energy you really need to function. A cookie, coffee, chocolate are all energy quick-fixes. A quick-fix will only lead you to another crash. So lets talk about some other ways to beat the late afternoon crash without adding on the extra pounds and calories.
Keep some healthy snack at your desk, in the car, at home, or in the refrigerator at work:
1. Larabar (Gluten Free)
2. Alkalizing protein bar like Organic Food Bar (gluten free), or a Garden of Life Bar with sprouted grains, enzymes and lots of antioxidants (not gluten free)
2. A handful of nuts with an apple, berries, pear or grapefruit
3. A rice cake with a tablespoon of almond butter and celery sticks
4. Hummus with veggie sticks
5. A Green drink
6. Mary Gone Wild Crackers (gluten free) with black bean dip
7. 1/4 Avocado, tomato and a slice of gluten free, whole grain bread, rice cake or crackers.
Plus you can eat a serving of vegetables in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (awesome source of energy because it is packed with amino acids, vitamins and minerals), garlic (may want to leave that one out if you are at work), and a handful of walnuts (great for increasing kidney Qi) or any nut of your choice.
This vegetable dish is delicious but most importantly it will give you long lasting sustainable energy to make it through the day. Experiment and add hemp seeds, sunflowers, almonds, sesame, walnuts or pumpkin seeds for that great crunch we all crave.
You will feel more energized and have more vitality when you try some of the healthy afternoon snacks listed above.
Rachel Feldman CHHC, AADP
Owner of Rachel’s Wellness
Certified Holistic Health Coach, Lifestyle Coach and Reiki Healer