Sometimes you’ll taste something wonderful from a shop or restaurant, then try – with some difficulty — to reverse-engineer it at home. Sometimes the chef will share the recipe and make it easy for you.
Executive Chef Scott Miller of The Pasta Shop in Oakland and Berkeley is sharing his recipe for Honey Roasted Carrots from the Pasta Shop menu for the Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kipper holidays.
It’s a classic dish, and in its simplicity, it brings out the best of each of the ingredients. Roasting carrots intensifies their earthy sweetness, and the honey coaxes the sugars to an especially rich and complex caramel. And this is a beautiful dish; the carrots emerge from the oven a deep, rich orange with a glossy coat of butter and deep, golden brown accents of caramel. Bonus: there are only four ingredients, and it’s easy.
On the other hand, the whole point of a take-out menu is not to prepare the food yourself. In that case, here are highlights from the current holiday menu (details online):
Rosh Hashanah – Tuesday, September 27 – Friday, September 29
Yom Kippur – Thursday, October 6 – Sunday, October 9
- Matzo Ball Soup
- Scott’s Famous Chopped Liver
- Baba Ganoush
- Couscous with Crispy Shallots & Herbs
- Sauteed Chard with Raisins and Pine Nuts
- Grilled Shetland’s Best Salmon with Sauce Verte
- Saffron Chicken with Honey, Ginger, and Almonds (Rosh Hashanah)
- Moroccan Chicken with Sweet and Spicy Tomato Sauce (Yom Kippur)
- Meema’s Noodle Kugel, sweetened with pineapple and baked until golden brown
- Mixed Lettuces, Fuji Apples, Walnuts and Blue Cheese with Honey Dijon dressing
- Peak Season Tomatoes & Persian Cucumbers with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lemon Zest, Shallots & Basil (Yom Kippur)
- Honey Apple Cake
- Coconut Macaroons
- Rugelach – Fig and Raspberry, or Chocolate
Pick up is available at either Pasta Shop location: Rockridge Mall in Oakland, or on Fourth Street in Berkeley.
Order in advance if you can; some foods sell out.
Honey Roasted Carrots
serves 4 – 6
Scott Miller, Executive Chef, The Pasta Shop
- 2 1/2-pounds peeled carrots (2 and one half pounds)
- 4-tablespoons butter (1/4-cup)
- 4-tablespoons honey (1/4-cup)
- 1/4-teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 °.
- Cut carrots on the diagonal 1-1/2 inches thick.
- Melt honey, butter and salt in a saucepan.
- Toss carrots with the honey butter mixture and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Roast, mixing every 15 minutes, for 40 – 60 minutes, or until golden brown.