It’s savory, only uses five ingredients, and takes just 15 minutes to fix!
Apples and cheddar cheese are two of the best food combinations around, as well as offering numerous health benefits. There’s only 163 calories per serving (This dish will feed six).
For the Apple and Cheddar Salad, you’re going to need:
1 head romaine lettuce, separated into leaves
1 small head fennel, trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin slices
1 Gala, Braeburn or McIntosh apple, halved, cored and cut into thin wedges (can also be diced)
4 oz. Cheddar cheese, sliced into triangles (or diced)
1/3 cup prepared oil-and-vinegar salad dressing, like Newman’s Own (or your own recipe)
1. Arrange lettuce leaves on a large serving plate. Top with slices of fennel (For those of you that may not be familar with this, a fennel is an herb that has many medicinal AND culinary uses; It has a light green color and tastes like a cross between celery, leeks and licorice! (It contains quercetin, a flavonoid that strengthens small blood vessels to help prevent bruising).
2. Alternate apple wedges and cheese triangles on top of fennel slices.
3. Drizzle salad with dressing.
4. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and chopped fennel fronds, if you want.
Here’s another apple-based treat; It’s a great way to get your protein and fruit all in one delicious whop! As you’re serving this to your friends or family, tell them that the red and green grapes contain resveratrol, a phytochemical which has been shown to inhibit tumor growth and coronary artery disease. They’ll be impressed!
things you’ll need for the Apple Waldorf Salad:
1 pkg. (10 oz.) pre-cooked chicken breasts
1 apple, cored and cut into thin wedges
1 cup red and/or green grapes, halved
1/2 cup EACH sliced celery and walnut halves
1/2 cup prepared berry-flavored vinaigrette
1. Slice chicken breasts lengthwise on a bias (a diagonal line or at an angle).
2. Evenly divide chicken pieces, apple wedges and grapes among four plates.
3. Sprinkle each plate with sliced celery and walnut halves.
4. Drizzle vinaigrette over chicken, apple, grapes, celery and walnuts.
Garnish with lettuce and orange zest, if desired.
Makes 4 servings