When I use the word “insanity” to describe a workout, I’m usually referring to the latest ridiculous fad to hit the market (Shake Weight, anyone?). But when I heard about a new fitness program called INSANITY from Beachbody, makers of the highly-effective P90X program, I had to check it out.
Upon some initial research, I found that the title not only refers to the intensity of the workouts, which some describe as near-impossible (I read about one poor guy who threw up during the initial fit test), but also the absurdly-good results that people can expect upon successful completion of the program. Insane, indeed, but now I was intrigued.
Insanity is a 60-day workout program designed by personal trainer Shaun T, who has a background in theater, television and dance. He’s choreographed halftime shows, musical tours, movies and workout videos, where he’s incorporated his love of dance with his studies of fitness. Shaun T’s Insanity workouts are based on what he refers to as “max interval training,” which provides a unique way to both burn fat and build muscle. Unlike interval training with short bursts of intensity, Insanity requires just the opposite: long, intense workouts with short breaks.
The Insanity workout program includes 10 workout DVDs designed to keep the body constantly challenged by alternating between aerobic and anaerobic intervals performed at maximum intensity:
- Dig Deeper & Fit Test (30 minutes): To start, Shaun will put your body to the test. This workout will also be performed at regular intervals throughout the program to track your progress.
- Plyometric Cardio Circuit (42 minutes): Burn fat with intervals of intense lower-body plyo and sweat-inducing cardio.
- Cardio Power & Resistance (40 minutes): Build lean muscle and upper-body definition with strength-training and power moves.
- Cardio Recovery (33 minutes): Shaun goes easier on you once a week so you’re ready for the next round.
- Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs (55 minutes): Skip the intervals—this nonstop cardio workout is all extreme.
- Core Cardio & Balance (37 minutes): Take a break after month one and gear up for month two with this workout.
- Max Interval Circuit and Fit Test (86 minutes): The interval circuit that’s more intense than anything you’ve ever done before.
- Max Interval Plyo (55 minutes): Push your legs ’til they beg for mercy with power and plyo, all at your MAX.
- Max Cardio Conditioning & Cardio Abs (65 minutes): Get pushed to your limit with this extreme cardio workout.
- Max Recovery (47 minutes): Give it a rest and build strength for another round with intense moves and stretches.
There’s also a nutrition plan to ensure your body’s properly fueled for the duration of the program, plus a workout calendar to set goals and track progress – or just to count down the days until you’re finished. Hey, whatever motivates you.
If you’re as curious as I am about Insanity, stay tuned because over the next 60 days, I’ll be test-driving the workout. Click here for more details on the program, and check back for my 30- and 60-day recaps with final results!
Interested in trying Insanity, but not ready to be (ahem) “fully comitted?” Try it out at a free Fit Club meeting, hosted by local Beachbody Coaches. San Jose natives can join the Hayward Fit Club group, which meets weekly from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings in McCollum Hall at 750 Calhoun Street. The club welcomes all fitness levels and highlights a different Beachbody workout each week. Click here to contact Coach Denise for more information.