I am always in pursuit of the perfect iPad case.
What attracted me to the MIPOW Juice Book iPad leather case? The battery back-up is small, lightweight, and gives me extra battery time (about a day). For me, this is great when I lose electrical power and still want to keep track of the local and national news; I don’t have to plug-in my iPad when I’m in the middle of watching a show or movie.
The battery functions as part of the case, and is also removable for easy charging. (I prefer to keep the battery in the case, as it makes it easier to create the landscape “stands” for viewing.) In addition, the case is thin, not bulky, and durable. The battery can also charge my iPhone4.
The case is easy to use. Slip the front edge of the case into the slot on the back of the case to create the stand. Place the case up-right with the battery at the bottom for viewing; spin the case around for typing (landscape mode only).
MIPOW Juice Book iPad leather case with battery back-up – features:
- leather case is compatible with iPad2 and the original iPad – the battery can also charge your iPhone (3G, 3GS, iPhone 4) and iPod (not the iPod Shuffle)
- MIPOW states that you can use this case in landscape and portrait modes
- the battery is small, cylindrical, and fits in a sleeve which is part of the case
- the battery doubles the life of your iPad battery by providing 24 hours of continuous use; 12 hours of heavy use (constant gaming/WiFi connection – highest volume/brightness)
- AC charging adapter + USB cable (included) – both specific to the case/unit (I store the USB cable inside the case, behind my iPad 2, so I always have it with me.)
- the case is durable; it has a leather flap to secure your iPad in place, so it won’t slip out of the case
- all ports are accessible, as is the speaker
My opinion regarding this case’s disadvantages:
- using it in portrait mode can be awkward
- although the battery has a secure port, it has a tendency to slip/slide a little. (The battery probably wouldn’t slip all the way out, since it runs the length of the back of the case, but I keep an eye on it, and adjust as necessary.)
- the case includes two additional accessories to keep track of – the adapter and the special USB wire that attaches your iPad to the battery
Hammacher Schlemmer is offering the brown leather case, on sale, for $99.00 – shipping $16.95 – 3-6 business days – quantities are limited (their regular price – $149). This is a little steep for a case, but it does have a battery back-up.
The official MIPOW site offers this case in six colors for $119.00, but currently has three color choices available: chocolate, saddle, and brown. Approximate shipping costs – $10 – $15.
NOTE: Purchasing external portable batteries (cylindrical) usually costs between $60-$90.
iPad 2 can be purchased locally at the Apple Store – Westfarms Mall, Farmington, CT and Best Buy in West Hartford, Newington, and Enfield. Call ahead for availability.
Hammacher Schlemmer URL: http://www.hammacher.com/Default.aspx
MIPOW URL: http://store.mipow.com/us/smart-power/juice-book.html