Another week in the books. Let’s check out Notre Dame’s opponents in week eight.
- Cincinnati scored with 12 seconds left to beat South Florida 37-34. The loss drops the chic preseason Big East favorite to 0-3 in the conference. B.J. Daniels had a great day throwing for 409 yards with three touchdowns. He also led the team with 54 yards rushing.
- In maybe the game of the year, Michigan State knocked off previously unbeaten Wisconsin 37-31 on a Hail Mary pass from Kirk Cousins to Keith Nichol with no time remaining. The play came after both team blew two touchdown leads in the game. Cousins threw for 290 yards and three scores and Keshawn Martin ran for a 34-yard touchdown and caught five passes for 41 yards and another score.
- Purdue shocked 23rd-ranked Illinois 21-14. The Boilermakers led 21-0 heading into the fourth before holding off a furious Illini charge. Caleb TerBush threw for 178 yards and two touchdowns in the win.
- Air Force hung tough but couldn’t beat 5th-ranked Boise State losing 37-26. Tim Jefferson was held to only 16 yards rushing on 20 attempts, but did score two touchdowns. Mike DeWitt led the Falcons with 108 yards rushing on 18 carries.
- Navy fell to 2-5 on the season with a 38-35 loss to East Carolina. The Midshipmen had the lead late, but a touchdown with 2:14 left sent them to defeat. Trey Miller filled in at quarterback by throwing for 126 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for 36 yards.
- Wake Forest led 17-0 early, but had to score late to hold off Duke 24-23 to move to 4-1 in the ACC. Chris Givens’ 66-yard touchdown catch from Tanner Price with 6:52 left was the difference. For the game, Givens caught six passes for 147 yards and two touchdowns.
- Florida State rebounded with an impressive 41-16 victory over Maryland. The Terps fall to 1-3 in the conference. Quintin McCree led Maryland with nine catches for 177 yards.
- Boston College scored first, but then got hammered by Virginia Tech 30-14 to stay winless in the ACC. Chase Rettig ran for a score and threw for 181 yards with a touchdown and a pick.
- Stanford continued their dominating season with a 65-21 win over 25th-ranked Washington. Andrew Luck had a relatively quiet day throwing for 169 yards and two touchdowns. Stepfan Taylor and Tyler Gaffney each ran for over 100 yards and Anthony Wilkerson ran for 93 yards and two touchdowns to help the Cardinal stay unbeaten.
- Michigan and Pittsburgh had the week off.
For the week, Notre Dame opponents went 5-5 including USC’s 31-17 win over the Irish. For the season, ND opponents now sit 49-35.