As the kids head back to school, it’s time to look forward to cooler weather. Fall is right around the corner. September is filled with all sorts of educational, fun and downright delicious holidays. From Labor Day, Oktoberfest, International Literacy Day and National Wife Appreciation Day, to National Chocolate Milkshake Day and National Peanut Day, there is sure to be a holiday everyone can enjoy.
Along with National Food Education Safety Month, September is also National Breakfast Month. While many Americans lead very hectic and busy lives, many people skip breakfast. But experts suggest a healthy breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast not only helps refuel the body, but also helps improve memory and concentration and is especially important for growing children. And people who eat breakfast also tend to weigh less than those who skip it. So start your day off on the right foot by eating a healthy breakfast first thing in the morning.
20 Quick & Healthy Breakfast Recipe Ideas
- Fresh Fruit – Slice up your favorite fruit, add a few spoonfuls of healthy granola and a dab of low-fat yogurt.
- Brunch Parfait – You’ll need strawberries, apricot preserves, low-fat vanilla yogurt, low-fat granola without raisins and toasted almonds for this pretty parfait.
- Breakfast Parfait Recipe – This simple recipe calls for low-fat cottage cheese or plain yogurt, pineapple, papaya or peaches and toasted wheat germ.
- Pina Colada Yogurt Parfait – This tropical parfait calls for reduced-fat vanilla yogurt, pineapple or mandarin oranges and toasted coconut.
- Power Granola Recipe – This recipe calls for honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract, dried cranberries, orange juice, oats, flaxseed, walnuts and cinnamon.
- Homemade Breakfast Cereal – Why buy it when you can make it yourself?
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Energy Bars – Need something to get you started right off the bat? Try this recipe.
- Granola Bars – Instead of buying them, why not make your own healthy granola bars?
- Vanilla Spice Oatmeal – Add some spice to ho-hum oatmeal with this recipe from the Food Network.
- Pain Perdue – Fair warning – this breakfast dish, loaded with fruit, looks amazing!.
- Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Fig and Honey – Kick up those tired PB&J sandwiches with this amazing recipe! You’ll need cinnamon-raisin bread, fig preserves, honey, goat cheese and fresh basil.
- Morning Pizza – You’ll need crusty bread, low-fat ricotta, tomatoes and olive oil for this quick and easy morning meal.
- Breakfast Burrito – This recipe calls for an onion, red pepper, tomato, avocado, black beans, eggs, pepper jack cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, salsa and whole wheat tortillas.
- Apple Muffins Recipe – You’ll need all-purpose and whole wheat flour, eggs, natural applesauce, low-fat buttermilk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and a Golden Delicious apple.
- Raspberry-Cream Cheese Muffins – These muffins look amazing!
- Banana Cinnamon Waffles – These homemade waffles are sure to be a great big hit with the fam!
- Fresh Fruit Smoothie – You’ll need white grape juice, strawberries, pineapple, lemon, Vitamin C powder and soy milk for this meal in a glass.
- Strawberry and Tofu Smoothie – You’ll need frozen strawberries, soft or silken tofu, vanilla extract and sugar substitute.
- Healthy Breakfast Smoothie – This refreshing drink calls for frozen berries, whey powder, flaxseed oil, lemon juice, Stevia and unsweetened cranberry juice.
- Pom Smoothie – Full of antioxidants, this morning drink is perfect any time of the day.