September 5th has to be one the best food holidays of the entire year! It’s National Cheese Pizza Day! While the origins of this particular holiday are unknown, people have been enjoying pizza for centuries. The earliest form of pizza was bread baked beneath stones of a fire, then seasoned with different toppings. Gennaro Lombardi is credited with opening the first pizzeria in 1905 in New York City. Today, it is still considered one of America’s best pizzeria’s. Frozen pizzas were launched in 1957.
Whether you prefer thin and crispy, deep dish or stuffed, Americans sure love pizza! In fact, Americans eat about 350 slices of pizza each second! Although pepperoni is the preferred topping for most pizza lovers in the United States, you can’t go wrong with a pizza loaded with ooey gooey cheese. Get your pizza on with the 25 cheese pizza recipe ideas listed below!
25 To-Die-For Cheese Pizza Recipes
- Basic Cheese Pizza – Besides a homemade crust, you’ll need tomato puree, tomato paste, garlic clove, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella for this basic recipe.
- Cameron’s Four Cheese Pizza Recipe – This delicious pizza recipe, from celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck, uses a homemade crust, oven-dried and Roma tomatoes, fresh basil and four types of cheeses – Mozzarella, Parmesan, goat and Fontina.
- Three Cheese Pizza – Emeril Lagasse shares this pizza recipe that has more than just cheese. You’ll also need mushrooms, prosciutto, white truffle oil, goat cheese, Fontina cheese and Teleme for this one.
- Four-Cheese Pizza Recipe – This quick and easy recipe calls for refrigerated pizza dough, store-bought pesto, cheddar, mozzarella, fontina and semi-soft goat such as chevre cheeses.
- Provolone Pizza – You’ll need roma tomatoes, provolone and parmesan cheese, fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, seasonings and refrigerated pizza dough for this pizza pie.
- Easy Cheese Pizza with Homemade Pizza Sauce – The name of this pizza says it all!
- Feta Cheese Pizza – Add some kick to your cheese pizza with some feta!
- Four Cheese White Broccoli Pizza – Tired of traditional tomato sauce on your ‘za? Try this cheesy recipe instead.
- Fresh Tomato, Basil and Cheese Pizza – This recipe calls for prepared crust, Parmesan cheese, fresh tomatoes, garlic cloves, fresh basil, olive oil and seasoning.
- Homemade Three-Cheese Pizza with Pine Nuts and Tomatoes – This recipe, from Whole Foods, calls for homemade dough, a red onion, pine nuts, tomatoes, fresh basil and Fontina and Gorgonzola cheeses.
- Pizza Margherita Recipe – You’ll need homemade pizza dough, olive oil, crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic cloves, tomato paste, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil for this simple pizza pie.
- Asparagus, Fingerling Potato and Goat Cheese Pizza – This recipe calls for homemade dough, fingerling potatoes, garlic, green onions, mozzarella, Parmesan and fresh goat cheeses and asparagus.
- Garlic and Herb Three Cheese Pizza – This recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for either store-bought or homemade crust, garlic, soft cheese, lemon zest, provolone, ricotta and thyme.
- Macaroni & Cheese Pizza Recipe – Kids of all ages will love this unusual pizza!
- Pear and Gorgonzola Cheese Pizza – This recipe calls for refrigerated pizza crust, provolone cheese, 1 Bosc pear, walnuts, Gorgonzola cheese and fresh chives.
- Gluten-Free Cheese Pizza – This recipe calls for a gluten-free crust, provolone and parmesan cheeses, red pepper flakes, olive oil, herbs and pizza sauce.
- Peasant Pizza with Goat Cheese – This recipe calls for a 16-ounce Italian bread shell like Boboli, fat-free cream cheese, semisoft goat or feta cheese, dried basil, garlic, plum tomatoes, sweet peppers and black pepper.
- Berries and Goat Cheese Mini-Pizzas – These little pizzas, which includes berries, nuts and cheese, could be eaten any time of the day or night and look delish!
- Spicy Cheese Pizza – You’ll need uncut sourdough or Italian bread, fontina, provolone and feta cheeses, olive oil, oregano, crushed red pepper, tomatoes and kalamata olives for this spicy pizza.
- Garlic Bread Pizza – This grilled pizza not only tastes good and is low in calories, but may just help lower your blood pressure too!
- Grilled Cheese Pizza Sandwich – You’ll need Italian bread, marinara sauce, mozzarella, provolone and parmesan cheeses, butter and seasoning for this simple recipe.
- Fresh Tomato and Cheese White Pizza – You’ll need homemade pizza dough, tomatoes, Mozzarella cheese, cornmeal, olive oil and fresh basil or parsley for this pie.
- Olive and Arugula Flatbread Pizza Salad – You’ll need pre-made flatbread, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, arugula, olive pesto or tapenade, pimento-stuffed green olives and Parmesan cheese.
- Pizza Pretzels – Try this super-simple pizza, with a twist!
- English Muffins Cheese Pizza – These simple pizzas are quick and easy to make.