Today has got to be one of the very best “holidays” of the entire year! Although today is National Chocolate-Covered Insect Day and national lowercase day, Oct. 14 is also National Dessert Day, a day dedicated to decadent desserts and sweet treats.
While the origins of this particular holiday are unknown, today is the perfect opportunity to indulge in your favorite dessert and satisfy that sweet tooth! Whether you prefer ooey, gooey caramel, rich chocolaty goodness or creamy cheesecake, go ahead. Treat yourself and worry about the calories tomorrow.
31 Divine Desserts
- Tiramisu Layer Cake – This five-star recipe calls for a package of moist white cake mix, marscarpone cheese, heavy cream, semisweet chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder, instant coffee powder, coffee and coffee flavored liqueur.
- Peanut Butter Lovers Cake – This super-rich recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, peanuts, sugar, milk chocolate candy bars and cream cheese.
- Grandma Paula’s Red Velvet Cake – If you love Red Velvet cake, check out this fabulous recipe from the Food Network.
- Coconut Cream Cake – This moist, coconut cake looks divine!
- Apple Pie by Grandma Ople – This top-rated apple pie recipe is just like grandma used to make!
- Cinnamon Apple Crumb Pie – This simple-to-make recipe calls for apple pie filling, unbaked pastry shell, cinnamon, butter and pecan shortbread cookies.
- Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie – Yum! You’ll need pecans, chocolate chips, unbaked pie crust, dark corn syrup, vanilla and brown sugar for this pie.
- Tropical Fruit Kebobs – This tropical dessert calls for heavy cream, sweetened coconut cream, white chocolate, mangoes, papaya, unsalted butter, lime zest and a vanilla bean. Don’t forget the skewers.
- Sweet Dessert Panini – You’ll need hazelnut spread, white bread, bananas, marshmallows, butter and powdered sugar for this recipe.
- Pretzel Turtles – If you love turtles, you’ll love this quick and easy recipe!
- Spicy Smoky Smores Bars – From the delightful Ms. Paula Deen, this recipe calls for graham crackers, sugar, chocolate chips, mini-marshmallows, butter and chipotle pepper powder.
- S’mores Brownies – From the Food Network, this recipe calls for large marshmallows, unsweetened chocolate, brown and white sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, graham crackers, flour and butter.
- Outrageous Brownies – The name says it all! This top-rated recipe, from The Barefoot Contessa, calls for semisweet chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate, instant coffee granules, vanilla extract, sugar, flour, butter and walnuts.
- Easy OREO Truffles – This simple-to-make, top-rated recipe calls for OREO cookies, cream cheese and semi-sweet baking chocolate. Voila!
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies Recipe – Tart plus sweet equals delish!
- Peppermint Pattie Cookies – This recipe, from HERSHEYS, calls for butter, vanilla extract, cocoa, sugar, milk, flour, baking soda and YORK Peppermint Patties.
- Chocolate Caramel Cookies Recipe – Great for bake sales and parties, these cookies have a caramel center.
- Ghost Shapes Rice Krispies Treats – Just in time for Halloween, the kids will love this spook-tacular recipe.
- Meringue Ghosts – Too cute! Trick-or-treaters will love these sweet treats. Watch the video to see how they are made.
- Country Apple Dumplings – You’ll need Granny Smith apples, refrigerated crescent roll dough, butter, white sugar, cinnamon and Mountain Dew for this popular dessert that can be devoured day or night.
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake – With over 1,500, five-star reviews, you know this cheesecake will hit the right spot! You’ll need chocolate cookie crumbs, frozen raspberries, white chocolate chips, half-and-half, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and 3 packages cream cheese.
- Margarita Cheesecake – You’ll need salted pretzels, cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lime zest, eggs, tequila and Grand Marnier or Tripe Sec. Yum!
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake – Speaking of cheesecake, now is the perfect time to whip this recipe up. You’ll need pumpkin puree, cream cheese, sugar, spices, frozen whipped topping and prepared graham cracker crust for this one.
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Cheesecake – ‘Nuff said!
- Blood Orange Cheesecake – This cheesecake is far too pretty to eat!
- Chocolate Almond Cheesecake – Fair warning – this dessert looks amazing!
- Light Cherry Cheesecake – Better on the hips, this recipe, from Martha Stewart, calls for low-fat sour cream and cream cheese.
- Amaretto Cheesecake – This recipe calls for cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, Amaretto and sour cream.
- Midnight Chocolate Cheesecake Cookie Cups – These mini-cheesecakes are just adorable and perfect for any Halloween get-together!
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes – Just in time for Halloween, these little cakes look fabulous! You’ll need Granny Smith apples, cream cheese, spices and apple juice. A homemade caramel sauce tops it off!
With Halloween right around the corner, be sure to check out these fun and affordable Halloween ideas.
- Halloween cakes and cupcakes: 20 creepy cupcakes & “spooktacular” cakes
- 35 Orange & Black Halloween Recipes – Spooky dishes, desserts, treats & cocktails
- Free Halloween Pumpkin Stencils & Patterns
- Free pumpkin decorating projects for a spook-tacular Halloween
- Blood-curdling beverages, creepy cocktails and disgusting drinks for Halloween
- Halloween Trick-or-Treat Safety Tips: Keep little ghosts and goblins safe on Halloween
- Halloween for kids: Create boo-tiful drawings with creepy coloring projects for children
- Creepy treats and scary snacks ideas for Halloween
- Celebrate Halloween with 15 Creepy Movies