So you know all about the hot places to take your dates to in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. You know where to meet potential love interests in South Florida. And you have a base for the multitude of events to explore in the area. But what do you do when that relationship just isn’t quite working out right? How do you know that it’s time to move on from that relationship that once seemed so perfect? Well the main thing is to know that you are never going to find your happily-ever-after with someone who you think is just “ok.”
Most of us have experienced this before….nobody really did anything wrong (or maybe they did). But then you wake up one day and the feelings just aren’t there. You still like that person just fine, but the passion and romance with them is just gone. It’s like they’ve gone from a soul-mate to a roommate! You may have even tried to work through the issues with counseling and yet it just still doesn’t feel right. Well the truth is once you are not getting what you want or need out of being with that person it is no longer mutually beneficial and that isn’t fair to either parties. You deserve someone you WANT to be with and they deserve someone who actually wants to be with them.
The truth is the longer you are with someone, the harder it is to quit the relationship. You’ve invested so much time in them and maybe it’s a phase and you guys will get back to that good part right? Or maybe you just really don’t want to start dating again. Often times the problem is that you’ve tried to fit yourself into someone else’s life and no longer remember how to have your own life and be completely on your own. This fear can be paralyzing but what most people don’t realize is that ending the relationship can often be very freeing. It can create a freedom to get back on track with your life rather than just being pulled alone with someone else’s’. So what are some ways to know that it may be time to end the relationship?
1) The communication has disappeared. When you lose interest in the little things your partner has to say or vice versa that is a big sign that you two aren’t connected anymore (and this goes for the big things too!).
2) You don’t really look forward to having alone time with your partner. In this case you could just want nothing to do with them, or you could still be having a good sex life together but the communication is gone. When all you have holding your relationship together is sex you might as well give up because you’re just roommates who hook up.
3) You are constantly being critical of your partner. At the beginning of a relationship the love haze fogs all flaws in your partner, so noticing them is not unusual after a while. But it becomes a problem when you can think of things that you didn’t mind in the beginning of the relationship (or even thought were cute) and now you want to scream when they do it.
4) You are trying to change your partner. This usually happens when we see all the problems in the beginning but are so stuck in the love haze that we choose to ignore it. We convince ourselves that we can just fix it later. Reality check: they are not going to change. People are who they are.
5) You don’t laugh together anymore. All relationships need to have a little fun and laughter. This won’t happen constantly, but if you think back and can’t remember the last time you laughed or played together it may be a sign it’s time to move on.
But even if you realize that your partner is no longer the right one for you, not to worry, there are plenty of single people in South Florida. At least one of them is the right person for you and you may even meet them in the last place you’d expect. So stop trying to revive a dead relationship and ignite the fire in a new one!