Sing! was developed by the “Next Big Thing” committee of Developers Diversified Reality (DDR).
Sing! is a national vocal talent competition designed to shine the spotlight on choirs, choruses, gospel singers, glee clubs and vocal groups around the country. The contest began via an online vote and will culminate in live performances at 13 DDR properties throughout the U.S. and Puerto Rico. – Read more
There have been over 600 entries and 150,000 votes generated from this completion. The live performance phase of Sing! 2011 began on September 10th and is scheduled to continued until October 8th.
Contestants are competing for an opportunity to record with two time Emmy award winner Kevin Briody. Kevin is an internationally recognized singer and songwriter who has recorded four CDs:
- “When No One’s Watching” (1999), which won a Music Row DISCovery Award.
- “Familiar” (2001), which was produced with the help of a National Endowment for the Arts Artist Fellowship Grant.
- “Buddy Up” (2005), a tribute to his Dixieland jazz trombone-playing father.
- “The Gathering: A Christmas Collection” (2006).
I loved watching all the artists interact with one another. Whether they were younger or older, the performers enjoyed each other’s company, they appreciated each other’s work, and in some cases they even seemed to be networking; which is such an important part of the music business.
As artists, we are encouraged by each other’s creativity and success. By bringing artists together to showcase and celebrate music, Sing! helps to build and fortify a creative community. To me, art becomes art when we communicate and connect. There was a lot of that going on. – Kevin Briody
Kevin Briody’s music is available on itunes and cdbaby.
- Vocal groups – $20,000 to their favorite charity, $5,000 in Developers Diversified Realty MasterCard Gift Cards and a once-in-a-lifetime experience with Emmy®-award-winning singer/songwriter Kevin Briody.
- Soloists – $5,000 donation to a their favorite charity, $2,500 in Developers Diversified Realty MasterCard Gift Cards and a once-in-a-lifetime experience with Emmy®-award-winning singer/songwriter Kevin Briody.
For judges the centers are partnering with radio stations and arts councils. We really want to make sure we have qualified people who are exciting and engaging for the performers to be judged by. – Dawn Marie Lecklikner, vice president of shopping center marketing for DDR
One finalist will be selected from each center to move on to the final, national competition.
Click here for a list of DDR locations where the Sing! 2011 competitions are being held.
National semi-finalists who competed at Town Center Plaza in Kansas City on September 10, 2011:
- J. Love
- Nicole Krawczyk
- Katie Canfield
- The Country Chicks
- Karla Bauer
- David Hakan Group
- Katy Claflin
- Seeds of Hope
- Nathan Corsi
Kansas City resident and Christian Music Artist Karla Bauer touched the hearts of the audience with the dedication of two of the three songs she performed:
- “Taking It To The Streets’ by The Doobie Brothers
- “Landslide” by Stevie Nicks – dedicated to her mother who was recently diagnosed with heart disease. Karla is planning on naming The American Heart Association as her charity if she wins the grand prize.
- “Be Still” by Kevin Briody – dedicated to everyone who was effected by the 9/11 tragedy, which she stated “is everyone!”
Karla was accompanied by the Kansas State Fingerpicking Champion Ron W. Richards.
I was so thankful this contest was held in Kansas City. Most events are held in either Chicago or LA; so it was really great to have this in Kansas City. I had a fabulous time! – Karla Bauer
- Click “video” on the left bar to watch “Always” produced by Attaboy Media Productions.
- Click here to watch “Hope is Alive” produced by Integrity Video.
- For more information about the artist’s music and her message visit karlabauer.com.
- Listen to Karla Bauer on Pandora Radio.
- Connect with Karla Bauer on Facebook.
Photo credits: John A. Jordan at Jordan Photography
Comments are welcome!
Visit Lynne’s websites at:
- National Christianity Examiner
- Kansas City Christianity Examiner
Click here to stay updated on Lynne’s writing – “like” her Facebook page.