Located in the eastern St. Louis suburb of Shrewsbury is an important landmark to the Catholic Church and the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Kenrick–Glennon Seminary is the main training center for men seeking to enter the Catholic priesthood. The seminary not only trains men from the St. Louis area, but from other Catholic archdioceses and dioceses around the nation. Kenrick–Glennon Seminary, named for Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick and Cardinal John J. Glennon, both former St. Louis Archbishops, is split into two schools: Kenrick School of Theology and Cardinal Glennon College. Kenrick School of Theology operates the seminary’s Pre-Theology program which is designed for those who have an undergraduate degree but still need the requisite thirty undergraduate hours of philosophy in order to enter the graduate level. Kenrick also serves as the graduate division of the seminary while Cardinal Glennon College, in conjunction with St. Louis University, serves as the undergraduate division. Although not listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Kenrick–Glennon Seminary is still a major landmark in St. Louis. The closest hotels to the seminary are Holiday Inn Hotel-St. Louis and the Crowne Plaza Hotel St. Louis in Clayton.
Kenrick–Glennon Seminary traces its roots back to the time between 1818 and 1826 when Bishop Joseph Rosati, C.Mhad seminary students share space with the Vincentian Fathers at St. Mary of the Barrens Seminary, which was the first seminary west of the Mississippi River, in Perryville, Missouri. In 1842, the seminary was transferred to St. Louis, were it would stay until 1858. That year, the seminary would move again, this time to St. Vincent’s College in Cape Girardeau, MO in order to start a regional seminary there. However, a few years later, the American Civil War broke out and while there were no major battles in the area, save for an artillery duel, the large number of military maneuvers in the area scared many people away. It was not until 1893 that a seminary was back in St. Louis. Under Archbishop John Kain, the seminary reopened at 19th Street and Cass Avenue. This seminary was the first to be named Kenrick Seminary. In 1915, a second seminary, also called Kenrick Seminary, was opened under Archbishop John Glennon. The first St. Louis Preparatory Seminary opened in 1931 at 5200 Glennon Drive, which is the present site of Kenrick-Glennon Seminary. In 1957, a new seminary prep school was opened and the old one became the four year Cardinal Glennon College.
In recent years, there has been a steady spike in the enrollment at Kenrick-Glennon. In response to this, expansion work on the seminary’s grounds was started under the leadership of Cardinal Raymond Burke when he was Archbishop of St. Louis and is continuing under the watch of current Archbishop Robert Carlson. Today, Kenrick-Glennon Seminary remains one of the many training centers for men entering the Catholic priesthood and also serves as a landmark to the church’s past.