Kentucky State Parks will kick start October with activities, programs, and adventure throughout the park system and in every corner of the state.
The following is a sampling of the just some of the fun things happening at parks in the Commonwealth Friday, September 30, 2011 through Wednesday, October 5, 2011.
- Big Bone Lick State Park once again hosts Paranormal Investigation Friday night starting at 9:30 p.m. and ending at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Participants will learn the ins and outs of ghost hunting by seeing and getting familiar with some commonly used tools including digital voice recorders, EMF detectors, and motion sensors while also learning some history of the park. Fee is $20 per person or $35 per couple. (859) 384-3522
- Cumberland Falls State Resort Park will be the site of the Cumberland Valley Cruise-In on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The cruise is open to all cars, trucks, motorcycles, and tractors. (800) 325-0063
- Breaks Interstate Park is having a Molasses Stir-Off on Saturday beginning at 7:00 a.m. where visitors can check out every detail on the making of molasses. On Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. visitors can watch the Heritage Howdownders, a group of grade school children, perform Traditional Appalachian song and dance routines at the amphitheater. (276) 865-4413
- Lake Barkley State Resort Park is the setting for Murder and a Meal on Saturday. Read details in the knotmove.com article.
- Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park invites visitors to come to the park for a Fall Trail Ride on Saturday. The guided tour will last approximately three hours. Fee is $5 per person or $10 per family. The park is also hosting Senior Bingo on Wednesday from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. for those 50 and over. Prizes will include certificates for the dining room and the gift shop. A special lunch buffet is available for $6.95 per person; the bingo is free. (800) 325-1711
- Greenbo Lake State Resort Park will serve up International Classic Cuisine Italian Night on Saturday in the Anglers’ Cove Restaurant from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at a cost of $14.99 for adults and $6.99 for children. Also at the park is the Greenbo Craft Show on Saturday (10 a.m.-6:00 p.m.) and Sunday (10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.) featuring baskets, quilts, soaps, and much more. The craft show is free and open to the public. (800) 325-0083
- Kenlake State Resort Park will host a benefit 5K Race for H.O.R.S.E. Inc. (Helping Others Reach Success using Equine services) on Saturday starting at 9:00 a.m. Entry fee is $20. (800) 325-0143
- Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site will hold the 149th reenactment of the Battle of Perryville on Saturday and Sunday. Read details in the knotmove.com article.
- Barren River Lake State Resort Park is starting the Trail of Scarecrows this Saturday and will have the scarecrows on display through the end of the month. (800) 325-0057
- Carter Caves State Resort Park invites local musicians out to “Pickin’ at the Caves” on Monday from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the lodge lobby. (800) 325-0059
With 52 state parks within the borders of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, finding a state park nearby is easy. Visit www.parks.ky.gov for a full list of parks or use www.maps.google.com for detailed driving directions.