“A cache of Los Angeles Police Department submachine guns and handguns was stolen last week from a secured building used by the department’s SWAT unit, raising fears that the weapons, which police had altered to fire only blanks, could be converted back to lethal use, police officials confirmed,” Joel Rubin of The Los Angeles Times reports.
Included were “21 MP-5 submachine guns and 12 large caliber handguns,” we are informed.
Several things are noteworthy:
We’re told even though such a theft should have been seen as a possibility, “LAPD officers…did not want to criticize fellow cops publicly.”
We’re told “’appropriate measures’ have been taken in response to the gaffe,” but not if that includes holding any individual(s) accountable through disciplinary measures.
We’re told than an “inside job” has not been ruled out.
And we’re told it would take five minutes to restore an MP5 to full functionality, and that “The parts required to change the MP-5 back to live firing were for sale on a gun supply website. It was unclear, however, what documentation or background checks would be required to purchase them.”
From a friend who is technically savvy about such things:
I did not know about this story. However to blank adapt an MP5 like any other firearm would require that gas (made by burning powder) be retained to cycle the bolt. Usually done through a screw in orifice or a special flash hider that contains a restriction orifice.
The only part of an MP5 or clone thereof that would require a background check or form 4473 would be the receiver….
This gross negligence, at best, can hardly be described as a “gaffe.” Unwillingness to criticize their own when justified is as much at the core of public distrust of police as anything. And the guy whose desk the buck stops at, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck:
- is a darling of the Brady Campaign, who says “anyone…who wants to limit the number of guns and their availability in our society is my partner.”
- pretends “buying back” (a misnomer in itself) guns from the general community will reduce criminal violence.
- thinks you can’t be trusted with normal capacity magazines.
- is against open carry.
- is against concealed carry.
- doesn’t even trust you with a BB gun (or, more accurately, doesn’t have confidence his men won’t shoot you for having one).
Because Chief Beck would have us believe he and those he commands are the “Only Ones” Angelinos can trust with guns…
You believe that, don’t you?
- Blank firing adaptor
- From IMFDB: “Trivia: One cannot switch between blanks rounds and live rounds in an Heckler & Koch MP5A3/MP5K or an M16A1. All firearms that ‘autoload’, i.e. are either semiautomatic or fully automatic, must be blank adapted in order to cycle. This does not apply to revolvers or other manually operated firearms like pump shotguns or lever/bolt action rifles. If a gun, like an MP5 has been firing blanks, one cannot just switch magazines and start firing live rounds. The blank adapter (which restricts the barrel down to anywhere from 50% to 75% of the original barrel interior) would have to be removed or else the first live round would blow up the firearm.”
A new service
FFL Guard provides service to educate and support Class III enthusiasts
Those with skin in the game need to know how to keep it whole.
Help wanted–inquire within
Regular readers: If you agree that mainstream press coverage of the gun rights issue demands a counterbalance, please help me spread the word by sharing Gun Rights Examiner links with your friends via emails, and in online discussion boards, blogs, social media sites, etc. Then get more commentary at The War on Guns: Notes from the Resistance.