As a managing director and chief instructor of California Flower Art Academy, I am expressing my view reagrding the class of funeral flower arrangement as follows:
Usually learning flower arrangement or floral designs remind most people of learning for the purpose of birthday party, birthday gift, wedding ceremony, church decoration, hotel front desk display and interior decorations whatsoever. And people are apt to forget about OR do not pay any special attention to sympathy gift or funeral decorations.
In a sense, this kind of habbit or tendency is pretty understandable because we are apt to stay away from things that are sad, miserable or not happy like funerals. Many people do not like talking about funeral or death or passing away. We can easily understand how they feel when we talk about something people do not like to take place.
However when it comes to talking about funeral floral decorations from the stand point of floral business, we had better think about from a different angle. The main purpose of doing business is earning profit and at the same time we can contribute to the society or make our customers feel satisfied. As a result of providing satisfaction, we become to deserve making profit.
California F.lower Art Academy offers a broad range of programs/courses and students can make make a choice of the most favorite programs depending on what he/she wants to learn and what his/her goal is for learning floral arrangements. If a student is planning to work as a floral desiger, event planner, already running his/her own floral shop or working for a florist as a floral designer, it is highly recommended to earn practical skills of funeral floral design and decorations.
In terms of the under-mentioned reasons, the business of funeral floral decorating service COULD be considered a very good business:
1. Prices of funeral floral decorations are usually very high. If you take a look at the prices of funeral floral designs offered by florists or service providers, you can easily find how expensive these services are. Especially consider the cost of materials (that we can buy at flower markets at affordable prices), the market prices of funeral floral decorations are considered very expensive. This means that if you can successfully penetrate this market as a flower designer or floral decoration service provider, you can enjoy pretty lucrative business.
2. Price Negotiations: When clients approach florists or floral designers for wedding floral decorations, they often make negotiations about the prices offered by florists. If they are planning to hold a big wedding party and the total amount of budget for floral decoration is pretty high, they usually try to get as low prices as possible to minimize the total amount of budget. In most cases, wedding party and ceremony are not scheduled to be held very shortly. They contact florists for the event which is happening several months later. However when it comes to funeral ceremonies, this unexpected event usually takes place without clear schedule. It happens all of a sudden which is pretty common. And people are upset and pressed for the time for preparing a funeral ceremony. This kind of situation does not allow them to have enough time for making price negotiation with a service provider. This is a big point which is totally different from weddings. Due to this kind of situation, customers are obliged to accept a price offered by a florist or service provider without making hard pprice negotiations. In a sense, this situation is in favor of service provider that is floral decorators or florists. You do not have to worry about spending your valuatle time with wheeling and dealing customers..
3. Stabilizing Your Floral Business: When economic situation is very good, people do not hesitate to spend money. If somebody is planning to get married shortly, he/she may spend considerable amount of money for the coming wedding. However once the economic situation turns out and dullness starts ruling the market, people do not want to spend money and they will hesitate to hold any luxuarious events. The budget for weddings could be much lower than before. And if the financial standing of the couple is not so good, they may refrain from holding a wedding party/ceremony. When it comes to funerals however, situation is a little bit different. we have never heard that the number of people who die will decrease once the economic situation has become dismal. And regardless of the economic situation, good time or bad time, funeral ceremonies are usually held as far as “People are mortal”. Quite unfortunately we are unable to avoid funerals as far as we are mortal. This means that funeral floral decoration business COULD be cosidered much more stable than wedding floral decoration business. If you want to stabilize your floral business, penetrating the funeral floral industry will greatly help.
4. Expanding the line up of your floral design services: No matter whether you run your own floral shop or work as an independent floral designer, you can expand the scope of your service by adding the service of funeral floral decorations. Your customers can approach you regardless of the type of flower decoration. This is very important and it can enhance or improve the image of your floral shop or flower decorator business.
5. Insurance MAY help: Have you ever heard of wedding insurance ? Answer is obviously “No”. People usually do not consider weddings to be accidents or damages. Therefore to my best knowledge, there does not exist “wedding insurance”. However when it comes to death, there are uncountable number of insurances and people usually effect life insurance just in case. There is no insurance by the name of “funeral insurance” I believe. However as a result of encountering with unexpected accident such as a traffic accident, many people unfortunately die. This sad event automatically leads to a funeral ceremony. Whether we like or not, we cannot avoid funerals as far as “People are mortal”. The family of the deceased (such as a wife) usually gets paid by insurance company when somebody (such as a husband) died from an unexpected accident (or sometimes illness). This means that the financial situation after this sad event COULD allow the insurance beneficiaries to pay for funeral expenses no matter whether a life insurance directly covers expenses for funeral ceremony or not. The comment stated in this section (section 3 in this article) is based on my personal guess work. I have not verified with any life insurance company whether a life insurance covers expenses of funerals. However even if a life insurande does not cover the fee of funerals, it is the fact that the family of the deceased will get paid by insurance company as a result of a death of accident’s victims.
If you are reading this article, you may have become to know, by the present time, that a funeral floral decoration business can make money and much more stable than any other floral business (IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY PENETRATE THE MARKET). The only point which, I think, is difficult regarding this business is that a service provider is required to deliver flowers or set up floral decorations very quickly. Your customers are usually pressed for the time for making any price negotiations. At the same time you, as a floral decorator, face a short notice for the delivery of your service.
California Flower Art Academy offers Funeral Floral Design & Decoration Course which is pretty affordable. Your small amount of investment ($268:tuition) can be easily and quickly paid off if you find customers in the funeral industry. Should you be interested in this program, please contact [email protected]