Caregivers not only provide care for those who need it most — they need and deserve care for themselves too.
Lift Caregiving and VCU’s Department of Gerontology & School of Geriatric Medicine are presenting a free resource day for caregivers and their families on October 29, 2011 in Richmond, VA.
Modern Aging is a free day-long event to provide resources, advice, helpful tools, and provider-based Resource Center for family caregivers. As a caregiver, you know how challenging it is to balance family, work, and caregiving, while finding the financial, social and emotional resources for optimal performance.
The Modern Aging resource day offers plenty of help for caregivers, including:
- Free admission
- Free flu shots (please bring insurance cards, limited quantities available)
- Free in-home and on-site respite care options (register by October 20th at the Lift Caregiving website)
- Free bone density, glucose, and blood pressure screenings
- Free advance medical directive/power of attorney consultation and development
- Free diabetic meter testing
There are programs that will offer advice and information from experts in the field of caregiving. They include:
- Essential Eating – cooking demos and tips on creating healthy, nutritious, and affordable meals
- Dealing with Dementia – learn how to identify symptoms and build your support circle
- Financial Footings – talk with financial and legal experts about paying for care, maximizing benefits, and exercising your rights
- Weathering Work – talk with HR experts about work/life balance and integrating care and work responsibilities effectively
- Courageous Conversations – learn how to effectively deal with difficult issues and talk as a family so you can move forward together
Location and time
Modern Aging takes place October 29, 200 from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center on 2880 Mountain Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060. Take advantage of this time to get help and resources for caregiving – and take care of yourself for the day too. This is a great way to celebrate HandsOn Day Richmond by doing something for yourself and the person you care for.
Lift Caregiving was founded by Katie Gilstrap who is the CEO. Ted Ukrop has joined her in her mission and has been instrumental in the development of the organization. Together they are helping caregivers by offering advice, professional resources, and hope.
Visit the Lift Caregiving website to learn more about them and the work they do within the community.