Love your self as you wish to be loved – and it will be so – you can overcome your past.
That is how I ended my last article – 15 days ago! When you ‘get’ something – when you have an ‘aha’ moment – it does not end there. Oh no – what unfolds is very much like a row of dominoes being knocked over.
This is what has been unfolding for me:
1. Each person is able to give only as much love as they have for themselves. When you consider how little most people love themselves, it explains a lot about the world right now.
2. Each person learns how to love from the people who raised them. Everyone has different ideas of what love is. And the people who raised you were raised by people who were raised by some other people.
Some people were taught that physical punishment was love. Some were taught that just providing food/shelter/clothing was love. Some were taught that demanding that you be just like them was love. Some were taught that – well, the list goes on. What were you taught that love was? I once had an employee tell me that I was being too nice to her – she didn’t know how to take it. She would make a mistake and I would gently correct her. Her response spoke volumes about her (lack of) confidence level.
3. Life is an illusion – you only see what you expect to see. There is a very famous experiment that was done with kittens. Some kittens were raised in an environment where there were only horizontal lines – no legs or backs to chairs or tables. Another set of kittens were raised where there were only vertical lines – nothing to sit on but the floor (no lines there) only poles to climb. When the kittens became cats, they were placed in a normal environment . What happened? The horizontal cats bumped into chair and table legs and the vertical cats bumped into table tops and the seats of chairs and couches. Now, can you think of any of your relationships that might have been like that?
4. Love is a many splendored thing. I will describe the many splendors in the next article, but the most important, not-published-enough splendor is: you are your own source of love – you are love!
5. Imagination is key. What you don’t know from experience, you can imagine – what you imagine, you can believe, and what you believe – you can see!
One of the facets of love is courage – in order to move from where you are to where you want to be takes courage – and that makes you a hero.