Hand sanitizers can be found in almost every home, office and hand bag. Grocery stores now offer shoppers a fresh sanitary wipe to clean their carts. All these efforts are in the hopes to prevent the spread of bacterial infections and cross-contamination. But even the most diligent women may discover they are leaving themselve open to germs and bacteria. Where? In their cosmetics!
Follow these 5 steps to ensure your beauty products keep you healthy and looking beautiful:
- Clean applicators make for safe and longer lasting products. Wash makeup brushes at least once a month (preferrably more frequently) with a professional brush cleaner or gentle shampoo to keep oils, dirt and bacteria at bay. When it comes to dispensing products, pumps are best for avoiding contamination. For items packaged in jars or pots, skip fingers and opt for spatulas or Q-tips to dispense.
- Store products properly. Keep cosmetics in a cool, dry place with lids tightly closed. If the container is broken, transfer into another air-tight container such as a jar or ziploc bag. Broken containers allow the product to dry out and air-bourne particulates to enter.
- Replace items regularly. Liquid makeup, mascara and eyeliner should be replaced every three months. Powdered products and lip color should be replaced every year. However, if the product smells funny or changes in color or consistency, toss it out and replace right away.
- Adhere to expiration dates. Expiration dates on cosmetics are similar to expiration dates on food. They are based on the “usual and expected shelf-life”. Use your own good judgement and replace cosmetics as needed. If there isn’t an expiration date on the original container, make your own label noting the purchase date. Then use the suggested replacement dates listed above (item #3).
- Don’t share products. Sharing makeup is never a good idea, even with family and friends. Multiple users increase the chances of catching –or spreading — an infection.
It may be hard to give up those expensive products, or your favorite colors, but you shouldn’t take chances when it comes to your health.
Need help matching up an old eye or lip color? Visit your local cosmetic studio, they will be happy to help you out.
Tampa Bay residents can bring their favorite products to match up to Merle Norman Cosmetics, 100 Indian Rocks Road N., Indian Rocks Road, Belleair Bluffs.