Homeowners in Center City Philadelphia, PA love their modest older and historic homes; and when they need more room they call the experts at Myers Constructs to redesign their small spaces and to build on additions. ‘Small is not the new big’, as they say at Myers Constructs, and growing families and changing needs simply require more room. Myers Constructs has the knack for finding space in small homes.
Myers Constructs was featured in Philadelphia Row Home magazine for their application of space-saving ingenuity to a 19th century family home. One of their favorite phrases, ‘Make it boaty!’describes their strategy when redesigning a small space: as on a boat, many spaces do double-duty, and storage is created in every available nook and cranny. These and other tricks-of-the-trade help find more space for homeowners and their activities.
A popular space-saving technique a lot of Philadelphia Row Home owners use is the reconfiguration of a room’s floorplan to include, combine, or convert to different uses, such as:
- Combine mudroom/laundry/powder room
- Combine kitchen/family room/bathroom
- Combine kitchen/powder room
- Open up interior spaces by reconfiguring closets and bathrooms
- Convert the garage into an office or guestroom
- Convert the sunroom or porch into a four-season room
The small bathroom under the stairs
The cleverest idea for installing a powder room on the main floor of your older or historic home is to use the space under the stairs. A main floor powder room is very convenient for guests and children, and is a standard in most new homes today. It will also increase the value of your home.
Small bathrooms can have ‘shiny bits’ too
Even though your home has a small bathroom, it does not mean you have to sacrifice luxury. Myers Constructs redesigned a small Mt. Airy bathroom, and continued the classic feel of the home into the bathroom space by using new furniture and accessories with a classic shape. At the same time, they introduced modern amenities and a spa-like décor to create an elegant and relaxing bathroom for the homeowners.
A small bathroom in an historic home does not always have to mean a classic bathroom. Myers Constructs created this Eco Nordic-Chic retreat, using natural, smooth materials and simple designs.
Myers Constructs has created Design to Build™ processes that dramatically reduce the cost of a renovation, yet still creating a customized space for the homeowner. The Contempo Luxury bathroom design is the second in the Rejuvenation Series™. This luxurious and contemporary design fits into a 6’ x 8’ space; has sleek lines, cool marble and tile, chrome hardware, and porcelain fixtures. There are a number of bath and powder room styles to choose from:
- Rejuvenation Series Historic Renewal Bathroom
- Rejuvenation Series Contempo Luxury Bathroom
- Rejuvenation Series Practical Powder Room
- Eco Nordic-Chic Bathroom
- Mt. Airy Classic Bathroom
- Spa-Like Suburban Bathroom
- Space Enhancing Master Bedroom Suite
A kitchen wishlist for an older or historic home
Myers Constructs renovated a Chestnut Hill kitchen/powder room and their wishlist was similar to most homeowners with an older or historic kitchen. Myers Constructs was able to address each item on the wishlist:
- Better flow/space function and efficiency/circulation
- Better/more prep area and surfaces
- New location for the fridge, which is currently in the unheated shed area out back
- Better storage and pantry use
- Combine kitchen and dining room
- Better venting
- Better lighting
- A more discreet powder room
- A staging area for lunch boxes, keys and things that need charging
- Better organization of the many doors in the room that access powder room, pantry and basement
Your older or historic home does not mean ancient appliances and a cramped workspace. Myers Constructs renovated this Philadelphia Art Museum neighborhood kitchen and created a modern, stylish, functional, and roomy space. The homeowners can now cook and visit with family at the same time.
Myers Constructs has created Design to Build™ processes for your kitchen as well, including the Cafe Series™. As with the bath & powder room series, this process will also dramatically reduce the cost of your renovation by streamlining the project, yet still creating a customized space.
The Cafe Series™ kitchen offers a very open feeling with modern appliances; is very functional, and gives you ample storage space. You can choose from a list of different kitchen styles:
- Modern Open-Plan Townhouse Kitchen
- Center City Working Kitchen
- Modern Old World Kitchen
- Cafe Series Kitchen
- Modern Open Suburban Kitchen
- Modern Mid-Century Kitchen
A couple of things homeowners of small spaces can do include:
- Purging: make it an annual event to sell and/or donate unused items
- Buying smaller furniture: it looks and fits better, and gives you more space
However, for the bigger jobs, contact Myers Constructs at 215.438.6696 to do the work.