Hip hip hooray – Oct. 26 is National Pumpkin Day! With Halloween just days away, today is dedicated to all-things pumpkins. And let’s face it – pumpkins are just plain fun whether you carve ‘em, decorate ’em or eat ‘em.
High in potassium and Vitamin A, did you know pumpkins are 90 percent water? And in case you don’t think pumpkins are big business, think again. In 2008, the United States produced about 1.5 billion pounds of pumpkins. Up to 95 percent of pumpkins are grown in Illinois.
In honor of National Pumpkin Day, check out these delicious pumpkin dishes, desserts and cocktail recipes below.
- Quick and Easy Pumpkin Soup – This soup recipe calls for canned pumpkin, applesauce, spices, heavy cream, unsalted butter, all-purpose flour and chicken broth.
- Pumpkin Bean Soup – This rich, creamy and warm soup is the perfect comfort food for a chilly day.
- Pumpkin Pancakes – These homemade pancakes sound delish!
- Pumpkin Crescent Rolls with Honey Butter – You’ll need canned pumpkin, brown sugar, honey, spices, all-purpose flour, dry yeast and nonfat dry milk powder for this recipe.
- Pumpkin Shrimp Bruschetta – This recipe makes 20 appetizers and takes about 30 minutes to make.
- Spiced Pumpkin Butter – This recipe calls for canned pumpkin, pure maple syrup, apple and lemon juice, hazelnuts and spices.
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread – Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this bread oozes flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie – This recipe calls for canned pumpkin, eggs, half-and-half, cream cheese and pre-made pie dough.
- Pumpkin Mudslide Cupcakes – Oh m’ gosh! These homemade cupcakes look amazing!
- Baked Pumpkin Pudding – In the mood for a bite or two of rich and creamy pudding? Try this recipe on for size.
- Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake – This decadent cheesecake calls for canned pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and pecans.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Bars – ‘Nuff said!
- Pumpkin Tiramisu – If you love tiramisu, and who doesn’t, you’ve got to check this recipe out.
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies – Yum! This recipe makes about 60 cookies.
- Pumpkin Seeds Recipe – Instead of tossing out the seeds when you carve up those pumpkins, why not bake them instead?
- Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds – Kick ‘em up a notch or two with this recipe from Paula Deen.
- Smashing Pumpkin Cocktail – This cocktail calls for Amaretto, spiced pumpkin vodka and pumpkin seeds for garnish.
- Pumpkin Pie Cocktail – This “spirit” calls for vanilla vodka, pumpkin schnapps, cream and nutmeg.
- Pumpkin Pie Martini – From Rachael Ray, you’ll need vanilla vodka, crème de cacao, heavy cream, pumpkin pie spice and whipped cream for this drink.
- Brazilian Pumpkin Frappe – This autumn cocktail calls for pumpkin pie mix, Jamaican Rum, half-and-half, maple syrup, spices and Cachaca.
Oct. 26 is also National Mule Day and Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night. Enjoy! And speaking of Halloween, be sure to check out these fun and affordable Halloween ideas to get you into the holiday “spirit.”
- Halloween Fudge: Simple 2-ingredient fudge recipe for trick-or-treat time
- Top 10 ‘Howl-ween’ pet safety tips: Keep Fido and Fluffy safe on Halloween
- 35 Orange & Black Halloween Recipes – Spooky dishes, desserts, treats & cocktails
- Halloween cakes and cupcakes: 20 creepy cupcakes & “spooktacular” cakes
- 20 Halloween cocktails: Defrightful drinks, creepy cocktails and spooky shots
- Creepy treats and scary snacks ideas for Halloween
- Celebrate Halloween with 15 Creepy Movies
- Halloween for kids: Create boo-tiful drawings with creepy coloring projects for children
- Halloween Trick-or-Treat Safety Tips: Keep little ghosts and goblins safe on Halloween
- Blood-curdling beverages, creepy cocktails and disgusting drinks for Halloween
- Free pumpkin decorating projects for a spook-tacular Halloween