Sausage and pizza lovers gather ‘round – October 11 is National Sausage Pizza Day! Whether you prefer homemade, frozen, dine-in or carry out, folks have been enjoying a slice or two of sausage pizza for ages. After all, who can resist the perfect combination of spicy sausage on a steaming hot piece of pie loaded with ooey-gooey cheese? In fact, sausage pizza is the second most popular type of pizza in the United States – pepperoni tops the list.
While the origins of this national food holiday are unknown, today is the perfect opportunity to indulge in a delicious sausage pizza. So go head and have a slice in honor of National Sausage Pizza Day. And just in case sausage isn’t your preferred topping, no worries. October is National Pizza Month so you can celebrate all month long!
Traditional & Gourmet Sausage Pizza Recipes
- Easy Sausage Pizza – You’ll need pork or turkey sausage, tomatoes, premade pizza shell, herbs and mozzarella cheese for this simple recipe.
- Perfect Sausage Pizza – This recipe calls for homemade dough, Italian sweet sausage, pear tomatoes, fresh herbs, Mozzarella and aged Parmeggiano Reggiano cheese.
- Pizza on the Grill with Sausage and Mozzarella – Tyler Florence shares his smokin’ sausage pizza recipe that calls for homemade dough, garlic, fresh basil, canned whole tomatoes, sweet Italian sausage, fresh buffalo mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Onion and Sausage Pizza Recipe – Here’s another great combo – onion and sweet Italian sausage on a loaf of French bread.
- White Pizza with Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe – You’ll need sweet Italian sausage, mozzarella, whole-milk ricotta, chives, parsley, pizza dough and Parmesan or Asiago cheese for this recipe by Grace Parisi.
- Spicy Turkey Sausage Pizza – Spice things up a little with this recipe from Health. You’ll need a prebaked crust, marinara sauce, spicy turkey sausage, mozzarella cheese and baby arugula.
- Spicy Sausage Pizza Pie – Fair warning – this recipe, from Betty Crocker, looks amazing! You’ll need pork sausage, premade pizza sauce, Original Bisquick mix, process cheese spread, mozzarella cheese and green and red peppers.
- Sausage, Red Onion and Wild Mushroom Pizza – This award-winning recipe calls for premade pizza dough, hot Italian sausage, one red onion, fresh wild mushrooms, Piave or Parmesan cheese, fresh rosemary, crushed red pepper and mozzarella cheese.
- Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pie – This recipe, from Epicurious, calls for refrigerated pie crusts, spaghetti sauce, Italian sausage, pepperoni, pimento-stuffed olives and mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Smoked Sausage Pizza – This recipe, from Eating Well Magazine, calls for marinara sauce, onion, green bell pepper, smoked turkey sausage or kielbasa, Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese and homemade pizza dough prestissimo.
- Sausage, Pepper & Mushroom Pizza – This simple-to-make recipe, also from Eating Well, calls for prepared pizza dough, mushrooms, green peppers, pizza sauce or prepared marinara, Italian turkey sausage and mozzarella cheese.
- Spinach and Chicken Sausage Pizza – This recipe calls for pre-made whole-wheat pizza crust, diced tomatoes, chicken sausage, spinach leaves and mozzarella cheese.
- Pizza with Sausage, Sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese – If you love Reuben sandwiches, you’ll love this pizza recipe!
- Sausage and Pineapple Pizza – Sweet and spicy, this recipe calls for pineapple tidbits, mild Italian pork sausage, an onion, Original Bisquick mix, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Crawfish and Andouille Sausage Pizza – This recipe, from the Food Network’s Ultimate Recipe Showdown, calls for homemade dough and sauce, andouille sausage, Monterey Jack and mozzarella cheese and cooked crawfish.
Enjoy! October 11th is also National Coming Out Day.
With Halloween right around the corner, be sure to check out these fun and affordable Halloween ideas.
- 35 Orange & Black Halloween Recipes – Spooky dishes, desserts, treats & cocktails
- Free Halloween Pumpkin Stencils & Patterns
- Free pumpkin decorating projects for a spook-tacular Halloween
- Blood-curdling beverages, creepy cocktails and disgusting drinks for Halloween
- Halloween Trick-or-Treat Safety Tips: Keep little ghosts and goblins safe on Halloween
- Halloween for kids: Create boo-tiful drawings with creepy coloring projects for children
- Creepy treats and scary snacks ideas for Halloween
- Celebrate Halloween with 15 Creepy Movies
- Free Halloween Games
- Free Halloween Printable Projects
- Virtual Haunted Houses