Pure Dylan – An Intimate Look at Bob Dylan is a new compilation scheduled to be released October 21 on Columbia/Sony Music (Germany). Dylan is touring Europe this fall with Mark Knopfler, including eight shows in Germany beginning October 23.
The single CD features an unusual selection, to say the least:
1 Trouble In Mind (5:13) * (with Mark Knopfler)
2 Girl From The North Country (3:20)
3 Most Of The Time (5:03)
4 She Belongs To Me (2:47)
5 Billy 1 (3:53)
6 Shooting Star (3:11)
7 Sugar Baby (6:41)
8 You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (2:53)
9 Tomorrow Night (3:43)
10 Every Grain Of Sand (6:12)
11 Percy’s Song (7:40)
12 Born In Time (3:38)
13 Boots Of Spanish Leather (4:37)
14 This Dream Of You (5:50)
15 Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (3:34) *
16 If You See Her, Say Hello (4:49)
17 Moonshiner – Live (4:04) *
All titles listed as “Album Version” except (*).
Of particular interest to Dylan fans is the inclusion of three songs classified as “Official Rarities” (songs not currently included in Dylan’s catalogue):
- “Trouble In Mind” (5:13) – This song dates from 1979’s Slow Train Coming sessions, and was released as a 7″ b-side at that time. According to Searching For A Gem, there have been different edits – On the common version, one verse was omitted, while the complete song was reportedly released only in Brazil. According to the JCP website, the time listed for “Trouble In Mind” on Pure Dylan indicates that the complete version was used.
- “Spanish Is The Loving Tongue” (3:34) – This is apparently the solo piano version released as a b-side in 1971. A different, unauthorized version was included on the 1973 album, Dylan. From Searching For A Gem: Solo version authorized by Bob – New Morning out-take recorded at Columbia Studios, New York, 2 Jun 1970, stereo B-side of 1971 “Watching The River Flow” singles, also available on the 1978 Japanese/Australian 3LP/CD release Masterpieces.
- “Moonshiner” – Live (4:04) – This version is most likely from the 2005 release, Live At The Gaslight 1962. A 1963 studio version from The Times They Are A-Changin’ sessions was included on The Bootleg Series (Rare & Unreleased) 1961-1991.
Here’s a description of Pure Dylan from Amazon.de, via Google translate:
‘Bob Dylan has in the past 10 or 15 years experienced an amazing comeback: It appears since the 1997 album TIME OUT OF MIND it simply, as he was the single greatest living artists of the rock era. He made a name for himself as an artist (Drawn Blank, Brazil Series), which in some of the best museums and galleries around the world issue (currently at the Gagosian Gallery in New York), – he wrote part one of his memoirs, turned with Masked And Anonymous a remarkable film, received a Pulitzer Prize, several Grammies, and his second honorary doctorate, surprised as a disc jockey with humor and encyclopedic knowledge of music (Bob’s Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour) and reached with his albums suddenly chart positions and sales figures as in his best times in the 60s. And that he also nearly 70 years, is still even his longtime fans who think it all know, can surprise, he was two years ago, when he, from which one that now do not really expect was a Christmas album to say. In October / November Dylan completed as part of a large European tour with special guest Mark Knopfler eight large indoor concerts in our country – with a total of over 100,000 spectators, the German section of the European tour by far the largest audience. On the occasion of the Tour Sony Music Germany first got permission to bring out their own CD compilation.
PURE – AN INTIMATE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN gathered at a dibasic packaged and yet lovingly compiled 78-minute-Digipak-CD, a series of rarely heard songs, which one are to be found on any of the many best of the man, nevertheless are among the best of what Dylan has recorded in the last 50 years. Including a number of rarities like the never released on CD TROUBLE IN MIND (with Mark Knopfler on guitar) or the rare, wonderful solo version of SPANISH IS THE LOVING TONGUE. 17 songs, the show once again how important Dylan continues. A wonderful CD for beginners and fans! Or: the one Dylan album that everybody needs.
Bob Dylan fall CD release check list:
- 10/4 – “The Love That Faded” on the album The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams.
- 10/4 – “Don’t Ever Take Yourself Away,” Shot Of Love out-take, on the album Hawaii Five-O: Original Songs From The Television Series.
- 10/10 – Beyond Here Lies Nothin’ (U.K./Europe compilation)
- 10/21 – Pure Dylan – An Intimate Look at Bob Dylan.
- 10/24 – “Girl From The North Country,” live with G.E. Smith, 1988, on the DVD The Bridge School Concerts – 25th Anniversary Edition
- 11/22 – Various Artists: Chimes of Freedom: Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of AMNESTY International (Probably no direct contributions from Dylan).
Dylan European tour with Mark Knopfler:
6 Dublin, Ireland: O2 Arena
8 Glasgow, Scotland: Braehead Arena
9 Glasgow, Scotland: Braehead Arena
10 Manchester, England: M.E.N. Arena
11 Nottingham, England: Capital FM Arena
13 Cardiff, Wales: Motorpoint Arena
14 Bournemouth, England: Bournemouth International Centre
16 Lille, France: Zenith Arena
17 Paris, France: Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy
19 Antwerp, Belgium: Sportpaleis
20 Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sportpaleis Ahoy
21 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg: Rockhal
23 Oberhausen, Germany: Arena
25 Mannheim, Germany: SAP Arena
26 Munich, Germany: Olympiahalle
27 Leipzig, Germany: Leipzig Arena
29 Berlin, Germany: O2 World
31 Hamburg, Germany: O2 World
2 Herning, Denmark: Boxen Arena
3 Malmö, Sweden: Malmö Arena
4 Stockholm, Sweden: Globe Arena
6 Hannover, Germany: TUI Arena
7 Nuremberg, Germany: Nuremberg Arena
8 Innsbruck, Austria: Olympiahalle
9 Padova, Italy: Palasport
11 Florence, Italy: Nelson Mandela Forum
12 Rome, Italy: PalaLottomatica
14 Milan, Italy: Mediolanum Forum
15 Geneva, Switzerland: Geneva Arena
16 Zurich, Switzerland: Hallenstadion
19 London, England: HMV Hammersmith Apollo
20 London, England: HMV Hammersmith Apollo
21 London, England: HMV Hammersmith Apollo
Thanks to Alan Fraser and his friend Dirk for the information on Pure Dylan.
Keep up with Bob Dylan Examiner news. Just click on Subscribe above, or follow @DylanExaminer on Twitter. Thanks for your support. …